7mm RUM

norsepeak

I'm thinking of building a long range target gun using the 7mm RUM. Anyone have any pros or cons on using this caliber in a 700 rem action for long range accuracy? I'm just wanting to shoot very long range accurately just for the fun of it.

norsepeak,
The Remington 700 action would be a good action to use.
Although my personal preferance would be the savage.
but I do work with Remingtons quite often,in fact I just finished putting together a 7mmrum with a Rem.700 long action. I got a good deal on all the parts and had the reamer so I decided to put it all together and put it out for sale.
Here is the make-up of the rifle.
Remington 700 long action, no J lock,trued up with my own oversized bolt handle.
1 in 9 twist, 27" shilen match barrel chambered in 7mmrum,Badger oversized recoil lug,And a super quick discharge muzzle break(also my own design)Then action and barrel are teflon coated in OD green. Factory trigger tuned to 2 Lbs.
It is set in a choate "THE ULTIMATE SNIPER STOCK"
I did a 15 round barrel break in and 15 rounds for load developement. I am very pleased with the results.
with factory Rem. brass, Hornady 162 AMAX, and 88.5 grains of Reloader #25,GM 215M primer, I cronied it at 3350 fps.
and it held 3/4 MOA at 700 yds. and the best part of the whole deal is I can let it go for $899 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif(scope,rings and bipod not included)If you're not interested I will put it on BSTB page.Hope this helps
308nate
here's a pix

Nate, that looks like a very nice rifle and it sounds like it shoots well too. I like the price, but I think I want to do a few things different. (stock, etc.) Thanks though.

norsepeak,
I agree with you on the stock 100% In fact I have a McMillan A5 on order right now for myself.I happened to come across the Remington action and the choate stock for just under $250.00.And couldn't pass it up so I bought a new barrel and trued up the action to put together an affordable long range rig.And to tell you the truth I was pretty impressed with the stock for the money.Anyway I hope I'm not highjacking you thread with my jabber /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

308nate

Nate, no problem, I'm pretty new to this so any info or comments are appreciated. What kind of price did you get on you A-5, that is the stock that I was looking at using for my own rifle.

Norsepeak,
I decided to go with the McMillan A-5 with the thumb wheel adjustable cheek piece.And a molded in 50%tan 30% OD green and 20% black color combination. cost was $524
308nate

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.