Talk to me about the 260 Remington.

Lrdchaos

Just when I thought I was 100% set on the 6.5 Creedmoor I read up on the 260. Let me hear some opinions from people who have or have shot both. Either caliber I chose will be one that I pass down to my son in 14 years. So I want it to be a caliber that won't disappear.

Just when I thought I was 100% set on the 6.5 Creedmoor I read up on the 260. Let me hear some opinions from people who have or have shot both. Either caliber I chose will be one that I pass down to my son in 14 years. So I want it to be a caliber that won't disappear.

For your consideration, why not the 6.5x55 Swede (1894), it's been around longer than our venerable .30-06 (1906) and obviously the 6.5 Creedmoor (2008) and .260 Remington (1997).

At 120 years, it's still going strong! lightbulb:cool:

For your consideration, why not the 6.5x55 Swede (1894), it's been around longer than our venerable .30-06 (1906) and obviously the 6.5 Creedmoor (2008) and .260 Remington (1997).

Love my swede - kills everything I point it at -- The original and still the best.:)

Personally I prefer the 260 over the creedmoor. They are so close performance wise I dont understand why the creed was ever invented. People like the creed because of its shorter over all length but you can just seat the bullet a little deeper in the 260 case and still have the same performance as that of the creed. The one thing the creedmoor has going for it is quality match grade ammo available off the shelf. If you dont reload this is a big advantage for the creedmoor. The 260 however if you do reload can be formed from any 308 based cartridge so brass will never be hard to find and in the end provide slightly better performance. I dont think either of these cartridges are going anywhere anytime soon. 6.5 cartridges are finally getting there due and more and more shooters are coming to realize just how great they are.

All seem scarce in modern standard grade rifles. Either old military Mauser's, or higher end custom. Hesitated on 2 a .260 Ruger compact, and a #1 in the Swede.

There are others as well the 6.5 BRM in EABCO's falling block is another worth a look.

I have a 260 and my buddy has a creedmoor. Not much difference between the two. I enjoy shooting 160grn subsonic and 140 bullets at 2850. Not much recoil and super accurate. Great medium game round out to 1000yds

the creed is the 260 done right

It's comments like this that make me shake my head. There is nothing that the Creed will do that you can't do with the 260. If you reload, then you can get the Lapua brass for the 260. Also, you can AI the 260 and then it's not even close. Nothing against the Creed.

with 3 people now in the mix norma,nosler,hornady i dont see brass availabilty or quality as a problem. 6 plus loads on my hornady brass i have no complaints. But the holy grail of lapua brass is of less concern to me as i dont feel as bad when i loose 50 pieces or so at comps. 260 match ammo is on the shelves right next to the unobtainium beside the 260 ai ammo. So if i have to make brass why waste time and just go 6.5 4s and be done with it best of both worlds speed and bbl life. I digress both are so close to the same other than numbers the real world will show little to no difference in the end result....not the first and wont be the last of the VS threads but they are entertaining on cold windy days

The brass availability and all that other crap that people use as an excuse is no longer a problem. Im sure that you will see "All Mighty Lapua" start making brass for it as well since how most everyone else is now. Both cartridges are almost identicle. I shoot the Creedmoor for a few reasons of my own which all of you have heard. The only concern id have about the 260 is the popularity 10-15 years down the road. The Creedmoor is gaining popularity much faster than the 260. I dont believe either round is going any where for a while however.

The only concern id have about the 260 is the popularity 10-15 years down the road. The Creedmoor is gaining popularity much faster than the 260. I dont believe either round is going any where for a while however.

Even that is a non concern if you reload.

Either will do just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.