Talk to me about the 7mm STW

Southernfryedyankee

I wanna know all the good and bad, if this cartridge is here to stay, advantages over the 7mm rem mag. Experiences with this badboy. Guide me people.

Whats not to like about a 168gr Berger going approx. 3200fps out of a 26" barrel. Put a DE brake on it, and it's a pussycat for recoil.

A little flatter and more powerful than the the 7 mag. Very accurate. Less fincky to load for, and more efficient than the 7RUM. Can't think of any downside to it. IMO it's the best all around of the overbore 7mms.

Of course, the ultimate 7mm is the 7AM (which is based on the ultrastrong 338 Lapua case).

Good luck finding factory ammo for the STW. I don't know where you live but it is pretty hard to find around here and when I do find the federals with 160 accubond they are $68.99 a box

southernfried,
If you are not a reloader, I would just stick with the 7 Rem Mag. It is just as good as the 7 STW, but not quite as fast. I would not go with the 7 RUM personally.

I jumped on the STW when it first came out. got a new Win 70 and had Hart ream it out. Loaded it with Nosler 150 gr Btips and Partitions, So far I have shot 8 deer from 75 yds to over 500yds never had one take more than 2 steps! One summer I loaded it up with 120 Btips for ground hogs WOW!! need I say more. I sold that gun and got a Rem Sendero STW it got a little heavy so I traded it for a S/S Ruger No.1 It too was a little heavy (Getting older now) I just finished building a STW with a old Rem 721 action I put a Houge stock on it and I found a Rem 26" S/S fluted sporter barrel and some bottom metal. Took it out with my old loads for the Win. and put 3 in 1" at 350yds. ( I think I'll keep this one)
I go to a lot of gun shows and find brass and ammo at many so I think it will be around for a while If you don't reload the 7 mag may be easer to get. But once you see the STW in action you will never look back.
I will be taking the 721 7mm STW to Africa next year and its the only gun I am taking, Thats how confident I am in this round.
Just my 2 cents worth
Best of luck in your quest.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.