Talk me out of, or into, a 6.5x300 Weatherby or 26 Nosler

Buckfever34

I'm looking to add another rifle to the collection. I'm wanting something flat shooting that will never be used on anything bigger than a mule deer. I am going on an antelope/mule deer combo hunt next year, and I figured it was a good time (and reason) to setup another rifle. I have decided that the perfect (to me) caliber may be one of these.

I am not concerned with barrel life.

I am not concerned with ammo cost.

I have many, many other rifles but I don't have anything in 6.5 and I also don't have a quarter bore...(should a .257 weatherby be in this conversation?).

What say you?

I'm looking to add another rifle to the collection. I'm wanting something flat shooting that will never be used on anything bigger than a mule deer. I am going on an antelope/mule deer combo hunt next year, and I figured it was a good time (and reason) to setup another rifle. I have decided that the perfect (to me) caliber may be one of these.

I have many, many other rifles but I don't have anything in 6.5 and I also don't have a quarter bore...(should a .257 weatherby be in this conversation?).

What say you?

Don't know about talking you into or out of either of these cartridges but I can say I love my 26 Nosler! 140 VLDs at 3360 fps are Devastating! I haven't had an animal take a step after being hit! Accurate, as well...

Attachments

• F0A7E6C9-173C-46E8-9738-C50320A00D7C.jpeg
    F0A7E6C9-173C-46E8-9738-C50320A00D7C.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 273

Man I would really recommend going with something just a little less overbore..
Check out the 6.5 wsm for example,
I personally shoot a 6.5 SAUM, and have killed two elk with it so far.
Absolutely wouldn't hesitate to shoot a Mulie with it at 800 yards +.
What is your reason for wanting ultra fast?
And what bullet do you want to hunt with?
Either of the options that I recommended will get a 147 eld-m over 3100 fps.

I just want something fast and flat. Here in IN, I will also use it for whitetail and I will rarely be offered a shot here past 450 in the areas I hunt. Also, most of my hunting for big whitetail is during the peak of the rut so something that I can "point a shoot" is appealing to me cause sometimes a shot isn't offered for very long cause it doesn't take a buck long to get back into cover while chasing a doe.

Besides, who doesn't want the biggest and baddest of anything.

There is no way I would ever take anything bigger than a mule deer with either. I have .300 mags and a .338 Lapua for that!

Last edited:
I like both.

If building, I'd go for the Weatherby. I'd just want the fastest.

If a factory gun, pick the gun, then the cartridge.

26 will have the most factory options.

6.5-300 will be a Weatherby rifle. One thing I noticed was that Weatherby is offering the 6.5-300 in the Vanguard line, with 26" barrels. I was surprised to see that. Should help make it more popular.

I just want something fast and flat. Here in IN, I will also use it for whitetail and I will rarely be offered a shot here past 450 in the areas I hunt. Also, most of my hunting for big whitetail is during the peak of the rut so something that I can "point a shoot" is appealing to me.

Besides, who doesn't want the biggest and baddest of anything.

There is no way I would every take anything bigger than a mule deer with either. I have .300 mags and a .338 Lapua for that!

I'm like you....not worried about barrel life or overbore! I built my 26 Nosler because it was the "latest and greatest" at the time and I love the velocity! I too have many other rifles to shoot for larger animals or at the range.....26 Nosler is "Bad to the Bone"! I say, if you want one.....go for it!
(My 26 Nosler in photos)

Attachments

• D9BF3D8D-58CC-40F3-B9A9-C756FC244A54.jpeg
    D9BF3D8D-58CC-40F3-B9A9-C756FC244A54.jpeg
    747.1 KB · Views: 485
  • 0B9E97BD-8750-4EAE-968C-3B17C101214A.jpeg
    0B9E97BD-8750-4EAE-968C-3B17C101214A.jpeg
    685.5 KB · Views: 460
Maybe look into the 6.5 Sherman. Mine with a 28" Hart and N570 will shoot a 140 Berger at 3339 fps. Used a lot less powder than a 26 Nosler to get there. As far as the 25 cal, I'd go 25-06 AI. They run close to the 257 Weatherby. Mine with H1000 and a 26" Krieger and 115 Berger goes 3350 fps. I know barrel life isn't important to you but the Sherman will have way better barrel life.

Are you looking for a factory rifle or custom? The calibers you are wondering about are essentially the same...for a max of 450 yards they are the same. 260, 65x284, 65x47, 65 saum, 65 prc, hell, any 6.5 will fit your bill. Decide on the rifle first in this case....

Hard to beat Roy's beloved 257 as a deer rifle. I just shot a nice Indiana buck with mine. 425 yards, second hash mark,bang flop.

There was a badass custom 700 in .257 Roy in the classifieds yesterday. I used to shoot the 100 gr tsx out of mine at 3780, it killed deer pretty good!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.