Talk me out of, or into, a 6.5x300 Weatherby or 26 Nosler

I'm looking to add another rifle to the collection. I'm wanting something flat shooting that will never be used on anything bigger than a mule deer. I am going on an antelope/mule deer combo hunt next year, and I figured it was a good time (and reason) to setup another rifle. I have decided that the perfect (to me) caliber may be one of these.

I am not concerned with barrel life.

I am not concerned with ammo cost.

I have many, many other rifles but I don't have anything in 6.5 and I also don't have a quarter bore...(should a .257 weatherby be in this conversation?).

What say you?
If I wanted a Weatherby Rifle, I would choose the 6.5-300. If I was building a custom, I would choose the 26 Nosler.

The guys at Hammer bullets recently built a 257 Weatherby to shoot their 128 gr copper bullet. Maybe they could provide some information about that project.

image.jpg
.257 STW easily pushing 110gr BIB 3475fps in a 26 inch barrel using 73gr 7828ssc.

My hunting load 110gr TTSX, 3750 fps 77.5gr 7828ssc. Been using it since 2007. All DRT. Amazing how much damage done.

Plus it is flat shooting low recoil. Can't say much about barrel life. It is a hunting rifle that shoots in the .2s with the right load (73.3 and 100 Ttsx). Not a bench gun so I don't figure I have to worry about burning the barrel out.

I also have a .257Wby loaded with 115g Bergers and H1000. Very accurate and fun to shoot, but the 6.5-300 is on another level.

Yeah.... I'm that guy. Flame suit on-
Whatever the 257's and the 26's will do, the 30 can do faster. Look into what the 30 Nosler or regular 300 Weatherby can do with a Barnes 110 gr and see what the drop profile looks like out to 400 yds. I promise you it will be shocking! A 30 cal has a larger surface area on the back of the bullet and will get more speed for the same weight and same length barrel every time. They can be VERY flat shooting with the lighter bullets. My .30-06 AI will do 3600 fps with the Barnes 110. I bet a 300 Nosler or Weatherby could hit 4000.

Interesting that you say the 30 can do anything that the .257s can do, but faster. Makes me wonder about trying a 110 grain bullet in my 300 Win Mag.

The OP says that he has 30cal and 338, and he wants to downsize some. So, I say, give a super overbore .25 a ride.

Interesting that you say the 30 can do anything that the .257s can do, but faster. Makes me wonder about trying a 110 grain bullet in my 300 Win Mag.

The OP says that he has 30cal and 338, and he wants to downsize some. So, I say, give a super overbore .25 a ride.

300 WM should be able to hit 3800 with ease w/ the 110 Barnes. 12.3" drop @ 400 yds with a 100 yd zero.

For the record, Barnes only goes down to 110 in the 30 cal so that's the lower limit of deer bullets as far as I'm concerned. If OP is wanting to go sub 100gr then 25 cal is really as big as you can go and still get a hunting bullet. Seriously - look for a deer capable bullet in 6.5 and 100 gr TSX is as light as you can buy! For as "flexible" as they say the 6.5 is, the lightweight bullet selection sucks!

I mean if a person is just looking for an excuse to go buy another gun, that's great; I'm with em. But if they want the ultimate flat shooter just shoot the 30 cal. It's not really downsizing if you use the same weight bullet.

If the powder charge is the same, and the bullet weight is the same, the recoil will be so similar between the 25 and the 30 cal that "downsizing" doesn't really apply. In fact, torque on the rifle from the light-for-caliber bullet will be almost non-existent so I would argue that it will actually feel like lighter recoil!

Shooting super light bullets in my .30 cal is not going to be an option I consider....

Back to the subject at hand, does Nosler or Weatherby make the better factory rifle?

I also just stumbled upon a Seekins Havoc in 6mm Creedmoor that seems enticingo_O

I have a factory wby vanguard chambered in .257wby , replaced plastic uncle mikes stock with a laminate from boyds. It's shoots either 115vlds and 115nosler ballistic tips at 3280 fps for .25moa groups. It'll push them a lot faster but that's what it liked. Kills deer and antelope very well. I've got around 900 rounds down the barrel, reloaded the brass 6+ times now. I really like that gun. The accuguard with a bell and Carlson stock and medium contour barrel has always interested me. I would go that route for factory rifle. I doubt the mk 5 or nosler rifles will out shoot it. For the money you can buy the vanguard, upgrade the stock and still be money ahead of the others

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.