Suspected scope problems

Kelpy

I have a savage 112 bvss in 7mm rem mag with a leupold 6.5-20X40mm EFR Target scope. It is mounted with leupold base and burris sig rings.

I have not had any problems with my setup for a while now and have been very pleased with my shooting at 1000 yards. However now 4 weeks away from deer season I decide to go out and make one last check on all my equipment.

I started shooting at 100 yards, everything was good. Moved to 1000 yards and everything was good, then when I went to 1100 my point of impact was a little off from the drop chart but not too bad. I was about 18 inches low. I then got it on target and shot a couple rounds. Everything was fine. I let the gun cool off for about 3-5 min and then started shooting again. I didn't change anything with the gun, didn't even touch it. The first shot was 2 1/2 feet low and 1 ft to the right. The second shot was in kind of the same area. After that the gun would not shoot the same spot twice. I tried to adjust back on target but the elevation wouldn't change and the windage was off in different directions.

I am now left wondering what in the heck happened. I was at the top end of my scopes adjustment range but when I dialed back down to zero the shots were still close. I had this problem once before a couple years ago when the gun was hitting well at 860 yards and then all of the sudden the POI changed by about two feet. But once back on target there was no more issues and the zero remained the same.

Sorry for the long winded question but any help would be appreciated!

THanks, Kelpy

If your base and rings are still working properly and nothing is loose, I'd be sending that scope to Leupold as fast as humanly possible after giving them a call and clearing with them.
Good Luck!

I don't think its really good to max out your scopes adjustment and then shoot. I have a freind that ruined two scopes that way.

Since you did return to your zero. Is it possible that the wind changed. It can do all sorts of funny things out there.

First, there is nothing wrong with your scope.... (and it would help if you told us what rifle and caliber, what scope mounts, etc).

Shooting past 1,000 yds is more than just slapping on a scope and blasting away.

Mounting the long range scope is both an art and a science, and it takes planing.

Having the scope's elevation at the top of it's range is the worst place for it to be.
The erector cell bumps into the top of the scope, and tends to float loose, because at that point, the erector cell may not be touching one, or both, of the spindle faces. In effect, it is on it's own, wandering around after the recoil of each shot.

As Martha Stewart would say, "... and that's a very bad thing!"

All of my rifles (except two tactical match rifles), have the scopes set up so the 100 yd zero is just a few clicks off the bottom of the elevation.

This accomplishes two things... first, I get all the elevation I paid for, and with modern, flat shooting magnums, I can get way past 1,200 yds with plenty of elevation to spare.

Second, I never loose track of the elevation, cuz "zero" is at the bottom of the range... so if 900 yds is 26.75 moa up, I can almost dial it in the dark.

My 50BMG rifle is set up so from the 100 zero, I have 147 moa of up, and 2 moa of down.

Last edited:
Eaglet, what part of nevada are you in? I am in vegas and my tag is in 21,22,23.

Flybuster, Yes the wind did switch and may have caused some horizonatal issues but still wondering about the 2 1/2 feet of vertical change?

Catshooter, my scope is zeroed about 5-6 moa from the bottom of the adjusment. But it only has about 42 moa total in the scope, so when I am dialed to 34.5 moa for 1100 yards it is near its max. I am thinking that this is the problem, that I am running out of ajustment and that is causing the random inaccuracies.

Thanks Everyone, I will call Leupold on monday,

Later, Kelpy

Eaglet and I are in the Carson City area. Check out the LRH google map.

Do you mean areas 221,222,and 223? If so, I have hunted there a few times and could give you some pointers.

The drop charts are good for a starting point only, and should be checked at the ranges you intend to use. If your scope center is not exactly the same highth above bore as the chart was worked for it will be off alittle.

Kelpy,

Yes, Carson City. :)

I'm glad you got a tag! Deer? Geargrinder knows that area if you need help!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.