Remington scope mount problems.

Evening all, I'm trying to fit a Vortex Viper 6-24x50 to my 700 series Remington-Walther 6.5x284, the rifle came with some bases, but I cannot find mounts to fit, today I bought some Leupold bases and medium height rings, the scope will fit, but I cannot get the scope far enough to the rear to get good eye relief, because the tube flares to the object lens, and the barrel tapers away underneath the object lens, it won't fit with the higher mounts either, again, because of the flareing of the scope body.
I can stretch my neck forward to get eye relief, but it's very uncomfortable and causes the arthritis in my neck to flare up, any suggestions please, I'm based in the UK, so we don't have the choice that you lucky people have on your side of the water.

Cheers.

Alan.

I have considered going down the Picatinny rail route, the only problem here in the UK is the cost, for a rail and mounts, it would cost about $320, thats silly money.

Alan, if the rail mount is too pricey many of the US manufacturers do offer extended mounts if they are legal for import to the UK. Several ship internationally and also offer rail mounts. Try Google if available in the UK. Good luck

Is there an import duty on it or is there some other reason for the ridiculous price?

I don't think so, it's just profit, profit, profit, they take your eye's out and come back for the sockets.

Just looking on Brownells, does anyone use the aluminimum rails or stick to steel?

I can get an EGW Picatinny rail and Maxima mounts for under $100, then there's expidited shipping on top of that, Brownells can't work out what the shipping will be until the order is sent, so I can't work out what the total cost will be, any of you guys got an idea please?

Just looking on Brownells, does anyone use the aluminimum rails or stick to steel?

I can get an EGW Picatinny rail and Maxima mounts for under $100, then there's expidited shipping on top of that, Brownells can't work out what the shipping will be until the order is sent, so I can't work out what the total cost will be, any of you guys got an idea please?

I used USPS shipping cost estimator for a priority mail envelope at 2# to London. They priced it at about $46 .....
The USPS site Postage Price Calculator allows you to select the destination at the top of the page before you add in all your addressing/weight data. Give that a try and see if the answers work for you. Sinclair would be slightly higher, I'm sure, cuz they've got some handling costs too but preparing a package for shipment for the UK shouldn't require any more resources than shipping it across the US.
Ref. the Aluminum/Steel rail issue:
I've used both and while I prefer the steel (can't explain why - just makes me feel better) the aluminum has caused no problems for me BUT I always bed the rail so there's no chance of warping it.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6RopWI0-GE]Gunsmithing Bedding A Scope Rail On a Remington 700 - YouTube[/ame]
He bed's one end, depending on where he sees light. I test both ends (sometimes the front can lower than the rear) to make certain I know where the bedding material needs to be.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.