Suppressor question

I run an aCC cyclone 7.62 I run I would go with th lighter weight version on my next one . One you shoot a gun suppressed you don't want one without .

I suggest no matter what make you get, choose a direct connect, read thread on, titanium suppressor.

Joel,

I wonder if you could clairify this a little bit for me. I was thinking about a titanium Thunderbeast for my 338. Now, as far as I know, this suppressor uses a break along with the actual suppressor. Would you consider this a "direct connect" suppressor? It seems this is the only way you can get their big 338 suppressor is with the break.

The only problem i have with this whole suppressor thing is having to shell out over 2 grand for something that I can't use for over a year because of uncle Obama!!!

Thanks, Tod

The thunderbeast brake/can combo is considered direct thread because the can screws onto and is timed to the threads on the exterior of the brake. It is not quick attach and operates just like a directly threaded muzzle.
I don't see the need for quick attach anyway. It only takes 30 seconds to screw in a direct thread on can, and after some shooting they are likely to hot to handle to quickly move them onto another rifle so to me the threaded cans are the way to go.

Besides, once you have one you are going to start buying them for your other rifles anyway lol. I have become a suppressor snob. I don't like shooting next to those without them, and refuse to shoot next to someone with a brake.
It is crazy that they are regulated. If they must regulate them, it should be that you require a permit to shoot without them lol.

Wait times seem to be getting much shorter. I just got one, Dec. 18th, out of ATF jail that was submitted Aug. 18th. I have two others that were sent in toward the end of Sept. that I'm hoping will only be 4 months wait time on, too. The dealer I got mine from told me the last few they've received were only 4 months also. Dealer also told me the ATF sign off signature/s they have been seeing on the last few, were names they had never seen before so maybe ATF has hired more staff to review these things.

You gotta love how they cash your $200 check within a day or two of receiving your application but then it takes months or even up to a year before you get what you paid for. I don't know a lot of business's that get paid in full up front then take as long as they want before they send you what you paid for.

FYI to anyone who doesn't already know this, when you purchase a silencer/suppressor from an out of state dealer, the out of state dealer you purchased it from has to send in a transfer request and get it approved by the ATF before that dealer can send it to the dealer in your state that you are going to use to send in your application for the $200 tax stamp and that transfer request takes 1-2 months to get approved. So you'll have an extra 1-2 months wait time before you can send in your tax stamp application which takes another 4-12 months, as well as your local dealer will likely charge you a transfer fee. So if a person wants one of these things sooner rather than later, you'll get it sooner if you purchase it from a local dealer.

Joel,

I wonder if you could clairify this a little bit for me. I was thinking about a titanium Thunderbeast for my 338. Now, as far as I know, this suppressor uses a break along with the actual suppressor. Would you consider this a "direct connect" suppressor? It seems this is the only way you can get their big 338 suppressor is with the break.

The only problem i have with this whole suppressor thing is having to shell out over 2 grand for something that I can't use for over a year because of uncle Obama!!!

Thanks, Tod
Tod~
Some suppressors are offered with a thread over muzzle brake, which would be considered a direct connect. A good friend of mine did extensive testing for work, SEAL sniper, and they determined that the direct connect had the least POI shift. I have not experienced any shift with suppressor on or just with brake on.

Start your paperwork now, while you still can...

You gotta love how they cash your $200 check within a day or two of receiving your application but then it takes months or even up to a year before you get what you paid for. I don't know a lot of business's that get paid in full up front then take as long as they want before they send you what you paid for.

Ive always gotten a kick outta that. Ive also been hearing chatter about the ATF hiring some help for the suppressor boom. From what you say it sounds like they did. Ive also been hearing rumors about CHL holders bypassing the backgroung check. Ole uncle sam isnt so dissapointing afterall.

I have heard that you need to clean a suppressor ? Do all suppressor act as brakes ?Do you need a tax stamp for each suppressor you might purchase? Hope it was ok to ask these questions here.

Except for 22lr you won't need to clean a suppressor very often at all.

This is true. If you are going to shoot lead through one it needs to be user serviceable. If you are only shooting jacketed rifle ammo, you will not need have it cleaned as often so it can be sealed. I sent my 30BA in not too long ago because of carbon buildup jamming up the brake. 2150 rounds.

Thanks for the link
It is so mfgs out there now it is unbelievable I think I'm going to stay with AAC for now

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.