Suggestions: hunting scope with exposed or locking windage turret

AFmaryland

I just picked up a new win mag for a lightweight hunting rifle as kind of a go anywhere, do anything build.

I am looking to put a light-ish optic on it but I'm a bit torn on some options.

Ideally, I like an illuminated reticle for when in the dark timber early. I don't really need more than 10-15 magnification for my hunting nor do I need a 50-56 objective as I'm trying to keep it compact in general. I want to keep the lower magnification below 4 if possible as I hunt all over the place (thick timber and more open spaces). I also am not a huge fan of turret caps...but it seems most high end scopes for hunting have a locking turret for elevation, but a cap for wind. I dial on each shot, so it would be great to find a locking windage turret or a nice exposed turret that doesn't move easily as I know I could just leave the cap off but seems a bit dicey.
  • I see mostly positive reviews on the NSX 2.5-10 x42 but I hear the eye relief is a bit tight, and the reticle is not ideal...it does have an exposed windage turret that doesn't seem to lock but reports say it doesn't shift around in the field.
  • I see mostly positive reviews for the Zeiss V4 4-16 x44 but it is a bit heavier, and I wonder if I would benefit more from the lower 2.5 magnification with the NSX when in the timber for closer shots..this is the only one I found with an exposed locking windage turret.
  • I see a lot of love for the Vx5HD and Vx6HD but it has a capped windage turret...
  • Mixed but positive reviews for the Vortex Razor LHT 3-15x44 but it has a capped windage turret...
I checked out a few other brands (swaro, leica, Sig, trijicon) and haven't seem a locking or exposed windage turret.

Let me know if you have any suggestions or opinions thanks! Also feel free to just tell me to learn to live with caps haha

It depends on what you define as "light-ish". My definition is 25 ounces and under. You definition may be different. Budget is also a significant factor, but based on your possible options listed, it looks to be under $2k. I typically hold for wind unless I am far enough that I have time or close enough where it doesn't matter. Durability is where the NF seems to shine. The Trijicon 10 mile has really peaked my interest lately.

It depends on what you define as "light-ish". My definition is 25 ounces and under. You definition may be different. Budget is also a significant factor, but based on your possible options listed, it looks to be under $2k. I typically hold for wind unless I am far enough that I have time or close enough where it doesn't matter. Durability is where the NF seems to shine. The Trijicon 10 mile has really peaked my interest lately.
I'd like to keep it under 2k though I do get some decent discounts with military etc...so I can sometimes squeeze things under the budget line that normally may go over.

Yeah doesn't necessarily need to be 16oz but <25oz would be great.

The only locking windage turret I know of is on the Weaver Tactical scope, I wouldn't consider it a lightweight scope though. Look at the March scopes they have exposed turrets and are lightweight. I have only had a turret move once because I was carrying it next to the pack on a sling. Something to remember is if you got time to dial for the shot, you should have time to take a cap off.

The Zeiss LRP S3 is a great scope, but on the heavier side. It has a locking windage turret. I rarely move the windage in a hunting situation, just hold over with the reticle. However, I don't want to worry about it moving either. Last I checked, it was running about 2.2k. It checks all the other boxes for me as well- FFP, illuminated, rock solid zero stop, etc.

In regards to windage caps…learn to hold wind in your reticle, someday you'll be happy you took the time. Seconds matter.

In regards to windage caps…learn to hold wind in your reticle, someday you'll be happy you took the time. Seconds matter.
Yeah I'm definitely trying to build more experience holding wind, plan on taking some courses locally. I was just a medic in the army no sniper haha but I also haven't had much long range hunting past few years hoping to change that soon.

Burris signature HD 3-15x with the E3 reticle. Locking exposed turrets, side parallax, zero stop, illuminated reticle, 21 ounces.

Last edited:
Burris signature HD 3-15x with the E3 reticle. Locking exposed turrets, side parallax, illuminated reticle, 21 ounces.
Have that very scope on CZ453V 22LR. Nice scope for the money.

Attachments

• 20230620_212254.jpg
    20230620_212254.jpg
    556.5 KB · Views: 38
Have that very scope on CZ453V 22LR. Nice scope for the money.
I put mine on my Tikka 308 and my brother put one on his 300wm. We got them on sale at sportsman's last summer for 350. The reticle looks a little different, but I really like it when actually shooting with it.