Turret Cap for Exposed Turrets

I had to pay quite a bit for a few prototypes to be built. I don't think it would be cost effective at all to have a sell set by set business model compared to going into full production and having product in stock to sell. If I am able to move into production the price point would be substantially lower than if I were to have these made individually for a case by case basis. They would either be way to high of a price point or I would make no money.

I am interested in what people would think would be a fair price point for a single cap.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Marcus
well the reason I ask is that me and 2 of my friends have all have the same scope, we all have eberlestock packs that carry our rifles and im sure neither of them want their turrets moving. so in actuality im sure I could get the sale of at least 6 caps...2 for each of us

I think it's a good idea because it fits a need or fear that many people have. I would consider getting them (Vortex PST) if they were relatively cheap. I won't know for sure if I'll use them, but if the cost is low enough I'll roll the dice.

I've always wondered why scope companies don't do a better job of offering turret cap options, even if it's a secondary purchase based on preference. Although I would prefer the scope companies come up with a simple turret lock, i.e. sliding button or something.

Your production costs shouldn't be too bad once you get the specs for the scopes you want to support. I thought 3D printing was cheap and molded hard plastic even cheaper via China.

I wish the prototype was made of black material vs white. It would be more visually appealing and help with the first impression. The white makes them look bulky. I know it's just a prototype and most likely wouldn't be white, but first impressions do matter. Maybe consider going with a thinner wall as well, to reduce bulk. Looks thicker than is needed.

Given your turrets rubbed the inside of the scabbard, I assume these naturally would rub and try to twist as well. Are the bungee chords enough to keep this from happening...not even a little? I think I saw in the video the bottom was flat. You could make it slightly concave to have a better seat against the scope tube and reduce the likeliness of it twisting when rubbing against a scabbard. Just a thought.

From a pricing perspective, I would put them close or just above scope caps, since that's a frame of reference for most hunters. If your production costs allow for it.

Marketing, sales channel etc...that's the easy part if you have a good product that resonates with customers.

Maybe reach out to guys who have made other one-off products in the industry. TriClawps comes to mind. Outdoorsmans might have good advice as well since they produce their own products.

Other ideas....how hard would it be to print on it? You could offer putting a customers name on it, a slogan (Aim small, miss small) or other useful info. How about "Ear plugs on!" I've regretted not remembering to do that when I had a brake on. Or a windage chart, which can be viewed once the cap is sideways. Food for thought.

I think it's a good idea because it fits a need or fear that many people have. I would consider getting them (Vortex PST) if they were relatively cheap. I won't know for sure if I'll use them, but if the cost is low enough I'll roll the dice.

I've always wondered why scope companies don't do a better job of offering turret cap options, even if it's a secondary purchase based on preference. Although I would prefer the scope companies come up with a simple turret lock, i.e. sliding button or something.

Your production costs shouldn't be too bad once you get the specs for the scopes you want to support. I thought 3D printing was cheap and molded hard plastic even cheaper via China.

I wish the prototype was made of black material vs white. It would be more visually appealing and help with the first impression. The white makes them look bulky. I know it's just a prototype and most likely wouldn't be white, but first impressions do matter. Maybe consider going with a thinner wall as well, to reduce bulk. Looks thicker than is needed.

Given your turrets rubbed the inside of the scabbard, I assume these naturally would rub and try to twist as well. Are the bungee chords enough to keep this from happening...not even a little? I think I saw in the video the bottom was flat. You could make it slightly concave to have a better seat against the scope tube and reduce the likeliness of it twisting when rubbing against a scabbard. Just a thought.

From a pricing perspective, I would put them close or just above scope caps, since that's a frame of reference for most hunters. If your production costs allow for it.

Marketing, sales channel etc...that's the easy part if you have a good product that resonates with customers.

Maybe reach out to guys who have made other one-off products in the industry. TriClawps comes to mind. Outdoorsmans might have good advice as well since they produce their own products.

Other ideas....how hard would it be to print on it? You could offer putting a customers name on it, a slogan (Aim small, miss small) or other useful info. How about "Ear plugs on!" I've regretted not remembering to do that when I had a brake on. Or a windage chart, which can be viewed once the cap is sideways. Food for thought.

Thanks for your feedback. Vortex is the scope line that I designed this product for as that is what I use also. It just so happened that it works on my buddy's Huskemaw and I believe it will fit the Sightron SIII with a very small change in the ID of the cap.

I agree that the white cap looks out of place. I think my production won't be much to worry about but it is the initial cost of setting up tooling and finishing the patent that I am unsure about. I am patent pending right now and it will be a few grand to get the patent.

The cap is designed to be able to rotate and twist some on top of the turret without moving the turret underneath it. On the video you can see where the turret cap is placed on and turned back and forth and it doesn't affect the turret under it in any way. I hope that makes sense.

3D printing is not a cost effective solution. It would set the price point to high. Injection molding will be the best bet but I need to decide if it will have a large enough market to make it worth while.

Thanks for your comments so far and please keep them coming.
Marcus

Here are a couple pics of an updated prototype. The cap will fit on a Sightron SIII and still work for Vortex Viper turrets also. I have recessed the top holes to make for a cleaner look so the knots of the shock cord aren't sticking up. They need to be bit deeper though I think. Also I had this prototype made in black. Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Marcus

Proto204.1.jpg

Proto204.1-2.jpg

I have a millet scope with excellent locking turrets and I have seen cheap BSA scopes with locking turrets. all scopes should have them but most don't. so there is a need

What ever happened with this? Are you making them? I have missed three dandy bucks in two years due to my Vortex viper PST scope turret getting turned. Crawling through the grass and it was turned almost a full revolution I adjusted it back to what I thought was my zero when come to find out I was 5 Mils off and then my hold over was about 1.5 mils so in reality I was holding over 6.5 mils. Took me two days to figure it out. I had chalked it up to a miss on a windy day. Similar thing happened this year. I love the scope I have 3 of them and its big brother. Let me know if you are selling them. Thanks

He may get a notice about this thread being posted on and show back up. I'd be interested in seeing an update.

What ever happened with this? Are you making them? I have missed three dandy bucks in two years due to my Vortex viper PST scope turret getting turned. Crawling through the grass and it was turned almost a full revolution I adjusted it back to what I thought was my zero when come to find out I was 5 Mils off and then my hold over was about 1.5 mils so in reality I was holding over 6.5 mils. Took me two days to figure it out. I had chalked it up to a miss on a windy day. Similar thing happened this year. I love the scope I have 3 of them and its big brother. Let me know if you are selling them. Thanks

I am not making them. There wasn't enough interest to justify the cost of the patent and the production of them. I'll send you a PM.

I'd say Turret Topper has left the building.......

Turret Topper
Member from Southern Utah
Turret Topper was last seen:
Jul 29, 2016

I havent logged in as that name for a while, but I am still here. I don't post a lot but I do like to read. The Turret Topper thing didn't pan out but that is ok. My scopes with exposed turrets still wear my cap I designed.

What would it cost to get three of four of them? I was thinking about making somehting myself?

It is a good idea. Hard to sell many of something like that but I believe there is a need. I need to do something.

What would it cost to get three of four of them? I was thinking about making somehting myself?
I was paying around $25 - $30 a piece to get them made, depending on how many in a run I was doing. They were pricey, but cheap insurance to make sure my scope didn't move. I am not going to be having any made for a while though.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.