Suggestions for calibre and platform

Rifles are like trucks we tend to want the latest and greatest in them. And every one of us need something a little different for our use, location and environment. In the swampy areas Stainless Steel with synthetic stocks would be pretty much a must, for me. In high dry desert areas, I could do well with chrome molly and a beautiful wood stock. Calibers are kind of the same, where am I going to use it, what conditions do I shoot under, flat areas, brushy areas, up and down hill shots all are considerations that I need to put into what would be best suited for my application, but there again that's just me and what I think about when I go for a new rifle.

MKP, you said you're looking for solutions for a coyote cartridge (not deer) out to 900 yards. You also said you have many 223/556 rifles.

I'd look at converting one of those rifles to a 6mm ARC or 6XC. Easily take coyotes out to 1200 yds. Compared to CM, PRC, etc., they have less recoil, less powder, longer barrel life, etc., and are easily convertible from one of your 223s.

It has a slight advantage on speed...nothing dramatic. .and Creed is much more readily available for all components and ammunition.
It's pretty dramatic IMO. 250 fps more, it's like the difference from 30/06 to 300 win mag. That said, I think the common bullet weights are still a little light for game larger than deer. With tough or heavy for caliber bullets the 6.5 PRC is an adequate elk cartridge IMO and significantly better than a CM.

I've got two 6.5 CM and have 6.5 PRC coming; its big advantage is that it has the energy/velocity of a CM 200-300 yds further out and a flatter trajectory. In fact, the trajectory for 300 and 6.5 PRC is surprisingly similar to 1000 yds.

In any case, 6.5 prc is more than needed for coyotes unless you want to use your primary big game rifle for coyotes too. I agree with those who suggested a modern 6 mm is ideal. I've got a 243, but am tempted sometimes to sell it and get a 6 mm CM.

🤦‍♂️. Forgot you went with a 6.5 CM Bergera. Been a while since I checked this thread, sorry. Great choice! How's she shooting?
I'm still breaking in the barrel.
So far the shooting is good and the trigger is great, its user adjustable externally. The bolt is very smooth and the Federal 140 grain is pretty good so far.
Right now I'm discovering that my shooting has really suffered when I got out of shape. I can see my heart beating in the crosshair reticle. Which is making my groups suffer.
Thats no good.
I need to get in shape and get my resting heart rate down so I can shoot better!

I have 10 more rounds to go for break in. Bergara then recommends acetone to clean with after the 25th round.
That was a new one to me.

But no cost of ammo is worth more than you or your families life's.
Oh you got that right, I keep getting the same reaction from people when I talk about bears/cougars in my area. I get the punitive, condescending declaration....."You could just use bear spray....."
Ummmm, NO. Its windy here, bear spray in the wind? No. Also, when an animal that can easily kill me is trying to do that, negotiations are over. Its about surviving. I don't trust my life to a spray. What if it doesn't dissuade the attack?
44 magnum bucks the wind a lot better than bear spray.

Oh you got that right, I keep getting the same reaction from people when I talk about bears/cougars in my area. I get the punitive, condescending declaration....."You could just use bear spray....."
Ummmm, NO. Its windy here, bear spray in the wind? No. Also, when an animal that can easily kill me is trying to do that, negotiations are over. Its about surviving. I don't trust my life to a spray. What if it doesn't dissuade the attack?
44 magnum bucks the wind a lot better than bear spray.
Yeah they do! Negotiations my butt. I don't think so! Your property, your method. At least you'll have the chance to rotate your defense ammo occasionally. 😁

Even loading your own isn't inexpensive and finding some of the components is interesting now days. My brother likes his 45-70 for big ugly things at closer ranges. By the way I still like the drone of a 4 bladed prop. on the older C-130's

Even loading your own isn't inexpensive and finding some of the components is interesting now days. My brother likes his 45-70 for big ugly things at closer ranges. By the way I still like the drone of a 4 bladed prop. on the older C-130's
Me too. But the ac and gas mileage is better on the new ones. Last model I flew was the 1992 MC-130H. Had time on 5 different models. Days gone by. I still miss it.