Suggestions for calibre and platform

There are several shooting aids for shooting from the setting position, shooting sticks, extended bipods, learning how to stabilize your body and rifle in the setting position is another way set with your back against something solid, pull your body in closer to yourself use your off-hand leg as a rest for your off-hand arm and elbow. Having a fused neck, myself I know that high recoiling rifles aren't the best for me or it. Study some on shooting in different positions then do dry fire practice learning what will work best for you and your own situation, with neck problems the 6.5 CM might be your better option for longer range than the 223.

I came out here to get away from the city life. I wanted to be near nature and I liked seeing all the wildlife. It is very rural. The sellers of the home left chickens behind. I didn't know a dang thing about raising chickens and told the realtor to get them out of here. No response, so I was stuck with them. I studied about it and found out they're pretty easy to raise. Also, they eat all the bugs in the yard. No pesticides needed. So we got more of them and raised them up from chicks. They follow us around, eat out of our hands and the eggs they produce are the best I ever had. Chickens are a lot smarter than they get credit for. I see them cooperatively hunt insects. They know to stay away from rattlesnakes. The first time I saw a coyote running off with a chicken in its jaws a certain sort of deep anger moved through me. I could see the chicken still looking at me. I felt like an utter failure. I started using a shotgun and that worked once. After that they came in more stealthy. Daylight attacks and often several coyotes at once. When I got out of the Army I promised myself, no more camo ever. But then there I was, with camo on, laying in the weeds waiting. Some days I've waited for hours. I have experimented with a coyote call from Foxpro. The rifle I have is a 26" barrel, 223 Remington 700 PSS. Pretty accurate but only for about 300 to 500.
I once sat in the weeds leaned against a small tree with camo netting over me. I had local grass tied in with it and built a gillie suit sort of, for my head. I waited for hours. I switched the call to rabbit distress and waited for a while. I saw something move out the corner of my eye. 10 feet to my left was a coyote watching my decoy move. I went for my pistol quiet as I could. I got the pistol leveled onto the coyote but with a very very awkward hold across my body and when I moved the safety off, it looked to its right and saw me. I fired. It went down and then got up and ran like a greyhound.
Coyotes never made that mistake again. They now stay out further. I see their tracks in the snow visiting the coop at night but they aint' got into it yet. They will never stop. I've tried security lights, barbed wire, motion sensors. Diplomacy has failed. I still love nature and all the wildlife. Just not coyotes and rats. Rats have been an issue too. But that is a short range, night time hunting issue.
I like the info I've gotten here but the words about barrel wear and ammo availability are big factors for me. I think the Creedmore might be more economical for me. When I have a rifle, I fire quite a bit. Its all about trigger time.
My neck has an injury and I can't shoot prone anymore. So I have to somehow do it seated. I've sat out there sometimes so long, I've seen a rattlesnake crawl right by me. I've had a hawk come down and land next to me until it finally noticed me and was outta there.
Shooting from a seated position is an issue. I'm more visible that way but mostly its my hold. Its not nearly as steady as prone shooting. From prone I was rock solid. This is a permanent injury and won't go away.
So it is me that must adjust. I just haven't found a way to have a good solid hold when not shooting prone.
Thanks again to all that has helped me with this advice. I sure appreciate it.
So, a 223 with a fast twist barrel shooting 80 grain weight class bullets is legit. I've shot mine a fair bit to 1200. It's really good to 800. As far as positional shooting, I prefer a tripod and leaning against something for Coyotes. A tree for example. Using a "good" tripod and practice I have killed a yote at 1125 and many from 400-800. Everything is a balancing act. Recoil, barrel life, ammo cost....... A good tripod, NV or thermal, etc It all adds up.

If you just want to learn to shoot long range and want to shoot a lot a 6.5 PRC is not the way to go for the average guy. A 6.5 creed is. A 6 creed is a good option but less barrel life. I would likely go 6 creed, and "plan" to swap barrels at 1500. Light recoil, fast, decent BC for weight.

Now, all that said, get a good tripod, good ball head, and practice all the time with it. I run a fiesol 3342, 50mm ball head, and RRS qd mount for arca. My rifles have a Arca rail I install or a chassis with arca. From a seated position, back support, and incorporate a rear support like a back pack or shooting stick, I have zero issue getting solid support.

This is a photo of a successful wolf harvest at 515. You'll notice I have back pack, a shooting stick, and a tripod. They live with me on predator hunts.
PRC wolf positional.jpg

Last edited:
Since it's coyotes, I don't care about pelt damage. Even a .300 Win, Mag will do. Yes, lots less recoil and better ballistics with the 6mm and 6.5mm calibers. I do not build guns. I don't do many modifications. Some might call me boring. I don't jump on new calibers, but I am not blind to the offerings out there, My funds tend to be very limiting. I will buy a gun and optic and see how accurate it is. If it won't pass my requirements, I get rid of it and buy another. When I find something I like, I keep it, generally for many years.
I agree that night shooting is the best. Put out bait where legal. Have fun!!

I came out here to get away from the city life. I wanted to be near nature and I liked seeing all the wildlife. It is very rural. The sellers of the home left chickens behind. I didn't know a dang thing about raising chickens and told the realtor to get them out of here. No response, so I was stuck with them. I studied about it and found out they're pretty easy to raise. Also, they eat all the bugs in the yard. No pesticides needed. So we got more of them and raised them up from chicks. They follow us around, eat out of our hands and the eggs they produce are the best I ever had. Chickens are a lot smarter than they get credit for. I see them cooperatively hunt insects. They know to stay away from rattlesnakes. The first time I saw a coyote running off with a chicken in its jaws a certain sort of deep anger moved through me. I could see the chicken still looking at me. I felt like an utter failure. I started using a shotgun and that worked once. After that they came in more stealthy. Daylight attacks and often several coyotes at once. When I got out of the Army I promised myself, no more camo ever. But then there I was, with camo on, laying in the weeds waiting. Some days I've waited for hours. I have experimented with a coyote call from Foxpro. The rifle I have is a 26" barrel, 223 Remington 700 PSS. Pretty accurate but only for about 300 to 500.
I once sat in the weeds leaned against a small tree with camo netting over me. I had local grass tied in with it and built a gillie suit sort of, for my head. I waited for hours. I switched the call to rabbit distress and waited for a while. I saw something move out the corner of my eye. 10 feet to my left was a coyote watching my decoy move. I went for my pistol quiet as I could. I got the pistol leveled onto the coyote but with a very very awkward hold across my body and when I moved the safety off, it looked to its right and saw me. I fired. It went down and then got up and ran like a greyhound.
Coyotes never made that mistake again. They now stay out further. I see their tracks in the snow visiting the coop at night but they aint' got into it yet. They will never stop. I've tried security lights, barbed wire, motion sensors. Diplomacy has failed. I still love nature and all the wildlife. Just not coyotes and rats. Rats have been an issue too. But that is a short range, night time hunting issue.
I like the info I've gotten here but the words about barrel wear and ammo availability are big factors for me. I think the Creedmore might be more economical for me. When I have a rifle, I fire quite a bit. Its all about trigger time.
My neck has an injury and I can't shoot prone anymore. So I have to somehow do it seated. I've sat out there sometimes so long, I've seen a rattlesnake crawl right by me. I've had a hawk come down and land next to me until it finally noticed me and was outta there.
Shooting from a seated position is an issue. I'm more visible that way but mostly its my hold. Its not nearly as steady as prone shooting. From prone I was rock solid. This is a permanent injury and won't go away.
So it is me that must adjust. I just haven't found a way to have a good solid hold when not shooting prone.
That's a great problem the way I see it as far as the coyotes not leaving me alone… 😃. Good luck on the Creedmoor or whatever else you decide.

I agree with all the 6 mmCreed and the 6.5 PRC suggestions ! A great excuse , I mean Reason fir a new rifle !!!! I just wonder if the 270 WSM shooting a 130 Grn ABLR might also be a consideration??? I know if I were lucky enough to live where you do,I would happily use my 270 Weatherby Mag with 130 Ballistic tips at 3300. Fps. Or 150 Grn ABLR at 3000. FPS! 8.5 to 25 x Leupold VX3windplex ! I know it's old school and not modern and slick ,but I just love the way it shoots !!

I like these shooting sticks from swagger and here's the gear I use, the best chair I have used yet doubles as a backpack to carry my calls and anything else I need it is a sly dog chair
image.jpg
image.jpg
9631A17C-1680-47AA-A7FD-79ADBC4E584A.jpeg

So I tried a Thermal once. It was an ATN Thor. I can't remember the exact model. I followed the directions for site in and mounted it on an AR platform. It fired very low on the target at 100. So I adjusted it as per instructions to have it firing dead center at 100. Unfortunately the reticle is what moved in the image when I adjusted it. So now my horizontal cross hair was very low in the image. Like almost at the bottom edge of the image. I fired over and over to make sure it was still on at 100 but I did not like that. Imagine looking through your scope and the horizontal cross hair is at the bottom edge of your field of view.
I tried consulting with ATN about it and I got very poor customer service. They did not seem interested in helping me and just suggested I didn't follow the directions well enough.
Honestly a thermal or NV scope would help a lot if it worked well. I hunted with it anyway but just didn't feel right with that horizontal way down there like that.
We don't get grizzly bears here. Thank Christ! One time per year the moose come through. There is however, cougars and occasionally wolves.
On any given night, you hear coyotes. This night, I snuck out there, I set up on a hill so as to be looking downwards to compensate for that very low horizontal cross hair. I set out some bait. Silence. Nothing.
I waited for a couple hours.
Nothing. Silence.
It was like the coyote/predator rock concert was across town and they all attended.
Then from behind me I heard a sound. I describe the sound like a bowling ball being dropped on a lawn from about 4 feet. It was a dull, heavy, staccato THUD. Sounded like 10 feet behind me.
I turned and hit my flashlight (which totally gave away my position) and there was not one thing there. Nothing.
When I heard it, I started thinking moose or cougar in the back of my mind.
But there was neither.
I investigated thoroughly as to where that sound could have come from. I even went out the next day. I saw no evidence. It was rocky there and grassed area. So tracks don't show up. Not even I leave footprints there.
Anyway, that was my only experience with night hunting.
I went out at day break with my 223 and looked over that bait. Nothing had touched it. It was very atypical of what normally happens.
Those thermal scopes seem pretty cool but I must not have gotten a good one. I sent it back.