Suggestions for a BIG .33 or larger LR hunting rifle?

shooter981

I'm looking for suggestions for an extreme long range hunting caliber. 338 Lapua, 338-378, 408 Cheytac, etc. Also, what actions can handle these calibers or will have to go to a fully custom action? I currently have a Rem. 700 built by Bobbly Hart in 30 Hart and a Savage F/TR 12 in 308. I'm looking for something that can throw heavy bullet(220 gr.+) well over 3000fps. Has anyone heard of or seen a 338 extreme? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Kirby Allen and Blackdiamon 408 are the rifle smiths here that do those kinds of things.

Both have good proven/developed platforms that are what your are looking for.

338 Allen Magnum
338 Snipe Tac

Need the larger custom actions.

I have 2 rifles that fit your requirement. I have a Kirby Allen built 338AM that throws the 300gr .338 Sierra Matchking at around 3300fps. It required a large custom action. The second is a Savage model 12 (large Shank) that I put a 338Edge barrel on (338-300 RUM). It throws the 300gr SMK at nearly 2800 and would certainly break 3000fps with the lighter .338 fodder (250gr and lower).

Here are links to the discussion of these rifles (with pictures).

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/new-arrival-almost-338am-4days-counting-24818/index2.html

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/savage-338-edge-wow-does-shoot-34039/

Hope this helps and welcome to the site,
AJ

when you say extreme long range hunting, that too me is 338. already a couple good bullets and the selection will be growing in the near future. the 408 chey-tac with the 338 bullet is the cartridge of choice. custom action required.

Tim,

I have a .338-.408 that shoots the 300 SMK at 3200 fps into small groups at extreme range.

Since you're just up the interstate, you're welcome to pull the trigger on it if you like.

Shooter981, DONT DO IT, DONT DO IT, don't shoot that gun cause you will be building one if you do. big loss of money. probably loose the wife. you can determine whether that's a plus or a minus.

take him to Mifflin Co and smack some milk jugs at 1k, or better yet, pop a couple rocks on the hill in back at a mile or whatever it is.

I repeat..DON'T DO IT!

Hey Joel, who built that gun, the 338-408? Do you have any pics of the cartridge and rifle? Where can I get dies, brass, reloading info, etc? Do you have a place to shoot long range? Your more than welcome to come up sometime to target shoot or shoot chucks or even deer. I have a spot I can shoot 1400 yards off my deck. Bobby Hart will be coming up to film some hunts this year also. Tim

Tim,

My rifle was chambered by Baer, I did all the rest.
I can get you dies, brass, etc..
Here's a few pics.

I would be happy to come up and bring it along.

Give me a call and we'll figure something out.
717-805-0940

RussoStocks0142.jpg

IMG_11312.jpg

.338-.408 next to a 6x47 Lapua

Joel,
Is that a Mcmillan Adj A3-5 stock on that rig, and will it take a 1.55" O.D BAT action?

Last edited:
Jim,
That is the A-5 that we designed for Chey Tac to use the Lawton 8000 action.
It is proportionally correct for the larger action.

It is the same stock that Black Diamond 408 used on his .416 VM.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.