Hunting/LR completion rifle

Good Morning Flare,

I didn't realized your budget was this tight, so the GAP is out of contention by quite a bit.

As to the 6.5 PRC, you need to ignore the folks who think this has to be a barrel burner since they have no understanding of interior ballistics at all. The simple solution is to reload with H-1000 and use a high quality bullet like the Berger seated at magazine length. This will net you 3,150 fps at the muzzle and you will have 1550 ft/lbs of energy at 600 yards. The H-1000 powder is a very cool burning which many of us use for competition and for these larger capacity cases.

Enjoy the process!

I want a rifle I can LR hunt as well as get into LR completion I'm stuck between the 6.5 creedmoor and the 6.5Prc My concern with the PRC in completion are the 10-12 round strings of fire and wearing out the the barrel and throat quicker than the creed Anyone have any first hand experience in the matter?

Corey
If you shoot PRS competition in the warmer months you can expect 2000-2500 rounds out of the 6.5CM, 800-1200 out of the 6.5PRC....
As has been previously stated, the optimum in rifles for each application will be different . A rifle that attempts to do both well will be a compromise, and do neither as well. If hunting is your end game, I'd get the 6.5PRC in a suitable hunting configuration, and learn to shoot it well....the stakes are higher, and the shooting psychology is different. If PRS is your end game, your budget may be insufficient to compete..IMO

Last edited:
If hunting is your end game, I'd get the 6.5PRC in a suitable hunting configuration, and learn to shoot it well....the stakes are higher, and the shooting psychology is different. If PRC is your end game, your budget may be insufficient to compete..IMO

I think you might mean 'PRS' competitions. I do the same thing when I get in a hurry...:oops:

I think a two gun solution is what you should be looking at. It shouldn't be hard to find a used Tikka in 7 mag/300 win which would be very appropriate for 600 yard elk hunting and put your current scope on top. For getting your toes wet in competition look for a used 6.5 or 308 and put a SS fixed 10 on top. A used Tikka should be ~500$ and a used entry level precision rifle shouldn't be much more. A SWFA SS 10x42m is ~400$. It's over budget but I think if you take your time and shop around you'll A) have a bigger budget B) be happier with your two different rifles

I want a rifle I can LR hunt as well as get into LR completion I'm stuck between the 6.5 creedmoor and the 6.5Prc My concern with the PRC in completion are the 10-12 round strings of fire and wearing out the the barrel and throat quicker than the creed Anyone have any first hand experience in the matter?

Corey
if you think the 6.5PFC is hard on a barrel try a 6.5x47 for PRS if you are going hole hog in to this build a switch barrel with shoulder fit barrels. a bighorn SA for a match heavy S.S. barrel and then for hunting switch out to a proof carbonfiber barrel in say a 300WSM same stock takes around 20 mins to change all needed is a barrel vice good one, a 120ft lb toque wrench and go/no go gauges.vid to watch PA have S.S. match shoulder fit barrels any cal you want.

I think I have mostly your solution. You definatly want the 6.5prc or similar to hunt elk to 600 yards. The creed will do it but a better margin with the prc. H-1000 in the prc will helps a ton on barrel erosion. So the 6.5 creed would make a great PRS and hunting rifle except for the range you need for 600 yard elk. Just load the 6.5 prc to 2900 fps for all your target bulk loads to save on barrel life. Just that drop of 150fps or so will give you at least another 500 rounds of life or more. Just use the prc as a juiced up creed for paper and deer and then you can go full power on the elk when you need to. Lots of reloaders only want the best and safest and most accurate speed they can get. Some only care about speed. But the scale can go backwards no problem. Drop down a node or 2 and you will still be accurate. For this reduced load I would probably try Retumbo to keep load density up for best accuracy. Plus you will have 20 rounds a piece brass life with proper annealing. Win win win.
Good luck and I'm sure someone will be popping off some good reduced speed loads soon.
Shep

Did you miss the part about how much the guy has to spend?
well no need to send out and wait for a new barrel and chamber job some time the smith might be backed up for months and if you shot matches you will run through barrels one a year most time and the barrel is the cheapest part of the hole rig as little as 1000-1200 and the 6.5x47 is done so if one is not a smith with a lathe and reamers ect you will have a wait

If you're only hunting to 600 yards I'd not mess with the PRC. The PRC will have too much recoil for PRS matches in a hunting weight rifle and the CM will do just fine on elk at 600 yards. In your shoes I'd buy a Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creed. With RL26 you should be able to get a 140 to 2850-2900 well below pressure signs and that really isn't far behind factory PRC ammo. Just my opinion, as a PRS shooter and a guy that's had good results hunting past 600 yards with a Creedmoor.

Another food for thought if you just thinking about competing to just get better at long range a creedmoor for sure. If its a thought but competing is a maybe and you want to long range hunt either the CM or PRC will do fine. More ump out of the PRC but a avid hunter (not competing) shooting his hunting rifle to get better at long range your looking at 100-200 rounds a year. (that is going out 5-15 times in a year to practice) Your PRC could last 6-8 years before you need to rebarrel it. Lot longer with a CM.

I shoot a 6.5 Addiction for PRS and would use it for hunting but I prefer other options for hunting. I only get 1200'ish per barrel pushing a 147 at 2940 with 4831. I can still use ARC mags with 419 extensions to get 12 round. I would recommend for PRS to have a cartridge that can use a 12 round mag and have at least 1 12 round mag. I'm not sure there are any PRC options for this. Not a killer if you don't if you get 9 good shots off that are hits a 9 on a 12 round stage is probably very respectable. I shot a match at the beginning of November with a gentlemen who was shooting at 6.5PRC with 143s at 3000+fps. He did ok.

For a cross-over rifle, it's right at the top edge of your price point, but I'd look hard at the 6.5 Creedmoor, stainless 24" Tikka CTR. For hunting with RL 26 you could push a 143 eldx/140 Accubond/142LRAB into the 2900s and for normal PRS shooting use a 140 ELD/140 Berger would get better barrel life at 2700-2850 with RL16 or H4350. This Tikka only has 10 rd mags, but if there are plenty of stock options to move to a AI mag which will give the 12rd capacity options.

I call all my 6.5s addictions. Really we can't help the op all the way because it's hard to sometimes get one cartridge to do everything great. The vast majority of PRS style rounds are not what ya call great elk options at 600 yards. Me in his place would have the 6.5 creed for sure. My go to 1000 yard match round. I don't hunt elk so it would fit the bill. And boy do I agree with the Tikka ctr. I only shoot my own custom rifles because it's what I do for a living but I could hunt or match shoot a Tikka any day and feel good about it. I'm going to get a ctr for our local matches for factory class. Gonna check out specs on the addiction too. And the sweedes had it right back in the 1800s with the 6.5x55 too. Told you all my 6.5s are addictions.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.