Hunting/LR completion rifle

Flare

I want a rifle I can LR hunt as well as get into LR completion I'm stuck between the 6.5 creedmoor and the 6.5Prc My concern with the PRC in completion are the 10-12 round strings of fire and wearing out the the barrel and throat quicker than the creed Anyone have any first hand experience in the matter?

Corey

I totally agree it will be a trade off. My goal is to do some competion to better learn how to shoot at longer ranges and learn to read wind better than I can so I would feel more comfortable hunting at long range. I'm also looking at the Savage 110 tactical. I'll check out Tikka's as well. Thanks for the response.
Corey

Since one of your goals is long range HUNTING, then the 6.5 PRC would be the better choice as it produces more velocity and power, which improves your long distant hunting odds. The barrel WILL wear out a bit quicker vs the 6.5 CM, but rebarreling a gun isn't that big of a deal anymore. Especially if you get the Savage 110 Tactical.

Hey Corey,

The first thing I suggest is to find a club which is local-enough to you where you can shoot and practice your longer ranger range shooting. You do NOT have to compete in competitions to hunt out to 600 yards. Shooting steel plates for practice at the longer yardages until you can shoot paper accurately enough for groups is just fine. This also allows for controlled rate of fire to help with barrel wear.

There are several new rifles available which can be used for hunting but have excellent accuracy. Manufacturers are spending money to step up their designs and manufacturing which is geared towards those folks looking for a tool to use for the introduction to both longer ranges and entry level competition.

Tikka, Sako, Seekins, Cadex, Ruger, Bergara etc. Look them up and read the reviews. GAP designed and builds a superb hunting rifle known for it high level of accuracy:

The Extreme Hunter

Breaks009.jpg

Check out the Bergara hmr that would be a good cross over. I don't know if it's available in 6.5prc yet. I think creedmoor is a little light for elk though.

I want a rifle I can LR hunt as well as get into LR completion I'm stuck between the 6.5 creedmoor and the 6.5Prc My concern with the PRC in completion are the 10-12 round strings of fire and wearing out the the barrel and throat quicker than the creed Anyone have any first hand experience in the matter?

Corey

If your worried about barrel life then, don't use a overbore cartridge unless you are really are trying to reap a specific benefit of it. In which case you just have to except it as a wear and tear item like tires. Most times dudes who are competitive but also do other things in the same industry tend to have specific purpose built rifle builds. Competition guns are different then field guns and competition type sometimes warrant different requirements like BR being of consistency at range and tighter tolerances, vs PRS you want something of a little better than good enough precision, and a rifle that is NOT a 30 inch long straight taper barrel and is 21 lbs but that is modular enough to shoot in off camber positions. There are different restrictions depending what division you shoot.
In hunting, your only limitations is your state laws and personal abilities. So if your intent is to shoot matches of whatever type to learn then that's cool, I'd probably just recommend going to the matches first as a spectator and mingle with some people before being dead set on a cartridge and rig. You'd be fine in 99% of most scenarios with a .308 unless you are going for PR's or to be competitive (keeping barrel life in mind). However a side note, no competition takes into consideration is terminal ballistics. If you plan on taking game at distance make sure the cartridge can do it at that range.

I'm with the recommendations you received, the PRC is better for your 600 yd max. Yes barrel life will be shorter than the CM but more punch at longer ranges. As Sable mentioned you dont need to compete to practice.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.