Hunting/LR completion rifle

I wish I could say you guys are making it easier ha ha ha Loys if great advise and ideas to look into Thanks I may try and get our Ruger American predator in 6.5 creed withRL26 to see what speed I can get

Open up your research and look at the 6.5x284. Lapua makes the brass and it is readily available. 308 bolt face and it basically has the same ballistics as th 6.5 PRC. I run 52 grs of H 1000 or Retumbo under a 142 gr Berger hunting VLD. It is hold .05 MOA.

Compared to newer rounds the 6.5-284 is just not as popular as it once was for compatition. It sure isn't at the top of PRS or 1000 yard b/r. At Williamsport PA I can count on half a hand the guys using one. It's a long action only really. Has very low barrel life. Yes it's accurate and can be successful even now but it really is a very nice hunting round now. For the op the stonger rounds at top of the PRS list should get the nod here. And the stronger is only for the one spec of elk at 600 yards.
There are over a dozen fully capable rounds that would fit his criteria but only a select few that meets them all. I'm not a 6.5-284 hater I own 2 reamers and several sets of died for it now. But no rifles anymore. This has been a very fun thread. Thanks op.
Shep

I have enjoyed the differing perspectives and they have been helpful I should mention In my state elk is mainly spike with occasional cow tags and maybe every ten years or more you can draw a bull tag (that is if you remember to put in for one )

Corey

Well you really just have a super tough choice. Be careful which one you choose or you might have to buy the other one too.
Shep

Compared to newer rounds the 6.5-284 is just not as popular as it once was for compatition. It sure isn't at the top of PRS or 1000 yard b/r. At Williamsport PA I can count on half a hand the guys using one. It's a long action only really. Has very low barrel life. Yes it's accurate and can be successful even now but it really is a very nice hunting round now. For the op the stonger rounds at top of the PRS list should get the nod here. And the stronger is only for the one spec of elk at 600 yards.
There are over a dozen fully capable rounds that would fit his criteria but only a select few that meets them all. I'm not a 6.5-284 hater I own 2 reamers and several sets of died for it now. But no rifles anymore. This has been a very fun thread. Thanks op.
Shep
I keep my velocity below 3000 fps so the throat erosion is kept in-check. That combined with a slower powder. Im getting 2k rounds before i set back the first time. It is usually good for another 500 after that.. i have excepted that there are four consumables in this game and the barrel is one of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts