Any suggestions for a light-kicking rifle?

I was thinking of buying my wife a light-kicking rifle for target shooting and maybe deer.

She has only shot once before and is only 5 foot - one half inch tall and weighs about 115 pounds. I started her out with the .30/06 and it wasn't something she'd really want to shoot again.

One rifle I have in mind is the .257 WSSM. I understand that it is ballistically comparable to the .25/06. I have read that it accomplishes .25/06 ballistics with less powder, and therefore, slightly less recoil.

If chambered in an 8.5 pound rifle with a 26 inch barrel firing 115 grain bullets, how would recoil compare to that of a 6.5 pound .30/06 with a 22 inch barrel loaded with 168 grain bullets?

if she still finds the recoil a little heavy, get a good muzzel break installed, and a good but pad, this should make it very pleasent to shoot (but i would advise you to wear ear protection if you are target shooting).

Newbie71
I was just considering the same thing for my nephew. I was thinking 260, 7-08, or 308. It will be his first deer rifle. He is thirteen and pretty big for his age almost 6' 175. I would like to get him a 700 PSS LTR 308 can anyone help with advice. How would the 308 with 150 NBT's recoil compare with the 7-08 with 140 NBT's. or the 260 with 120's? Any suggestions would be appreciated. He will be shooting box ammo also.

Newbie, don't get her a magnum even if it is only a 257.

Definitely get a heavier gun. The .243 with the 95 winchester ballistic silvertips factory ammo or federal vital shock 100 nosler partitions. Only 9 to 9.5 lbs of recoil in a 8.5 lb gun. Great for both target and deer for your wife.

[ 06-21-2004: Message edited by: John M. ]

[ 06-21-2004: Message edited by: John M. ]

This is a easy one! Get the new reduced recoil loads for that 30/06 from Remington. Milder kick than a .243 and a bullet designed to expand at lower velocitys and will kill deer much better than any 6 mm bullet. I have brittle bone disease and shoot a 06 with "youth" loads and don't mind the kick at all. I weight 128 pounds. Billy R

I just tested the reduced recoil or managed recoil ammo from Remington and Federal. Both companies address the challenge of reducing recoil differently - Remington uses a fast, light bullet - 125 gr. in .30 cal at 2600+ fps, and Federal turns the .308/.30-06 into a .30-30 with a slow moving 170 gr. semi flatpoint bullet. Both work well. The Federal was amazingly accurate and recoil is not significant in hunting weight rifles for most shooters. This ammo is intended for deer - most of which are killed inside 200 yards max.

Since target shooting seems to be a higher priority then hunting, I would lean towards a 6mm case. The 6BR, and 243 with 95 to 105gr bullets will do anything you want out to 1000yds. Hunting out to 250yds. Just choose the right bullet for the job. For shorter range shooting (800yds), the 87gr Vmax is superb.

Then there are is the 260Rem and 7-08.

Enjoy...

Jerry

I agree with the folks who think a 260 would be plenty. If she gets comfortable, get a bigger gun later. And spend some money installing a pachmyr decelerator or limb saver recoil pad. It'll pay dividends.

Get her one of these.
orkin1.jpg

Very light recoil, super accurate, 308 cal. Mine here weighs about 20 pounds but with a gi fiberglass stock and a scope and arms 18 mount and a gi barrel it will be right about 10 pounds. My youn son carries this one sometimes and he's only 10 so a 10 pounder would be great for a woman I think.

[ 06-26-2004: Message edited by: m14dan ]

Have you thought about getting her a simi-auto. The gas operation tends to soften the recoil some. The Remington 7400 is available in .243 and .308. If she does not tolerate recoil, you can handload on the light side to help out. What ever you get, make sure the stock fits her.

Have you thought about getting her a simi-auto. The gas operation tends to soften the recoil some. The Remington 7400 is available in .243 and .308. If she does not tolerate recoil, you can handload on the light side to help out. What ever you get, make sure the stock fits her.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.