Suggestions for a new coyote rifle and scope.

NDSU35

I have become very serious about coyote hunting over the past 4 years and have decided to buy a rifle specifically for hunting them. I am on a rather modest budget and after some research I am leaning towards a set up like this;a Remington 700 sps varmint chambered in 22-250 with something like a Nikon Pro Staff 3-12x40 with a BDC reticle on top. What are your thoughts on the rifle I have outlined as a long range varminter? Any suggestions for a different more effective caliber, rifle or scope would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like an excellent setup! You may want to take a look at the Redfield Revenge 6-18x40 for a little bit more zoom, but other than that I think you got an awesome rig in mind! You could also look for the Remington 700 ADL Varmint model with the camo synthetic stock. I bought one of these brand new for $550 but have seen them used for around $450. They're an excellent value and come standard with 26" barrels that are a very heavy contour and measure around .850 at the muzzle if I remember correctly. Also you mentioned a different caliber, I chose a .243 Winchester for long range varminting because the heavier, higher BC, .243 slugs. buck wind better and are more effective at farther ranges. Hope this helps and good luck with your new rifle!

Scope. 4-20 power with 50mm objective or better.

Since this is long range forum I assume you want to shoot LR, so the 6mm bullet is great place start, 243 is hard to beat. 6.5 in a 260 or creed would be awesome too.

If you want a smaller caliber then the 22 are good, of course, and probably killed more yotes than any caliber. 22-250 is that standard, I prefer the 220 swift.

My current choice is a 204. BC of the 40 gr pill is quite high at .275 for a Vmax and .285 for a Blitzking . My 204 with a 22" tube is shooting 3780. I have 2 new barrels at 26" each that I will test very soon. Hoping for close to 3900. The amount of down range thump is impressive for such a small caliber. However, the bullet is affected by wind, way more so than the 6mm.

I have been shooting 500-700 yards with the 204 lately and my wife. She loves it, I love it, fun rifle, easy to shoot, and freakishly accurate. We have been shooting balloons for fun and working on wind skills.

BTW- the scope on my 204 is a Leupold 4.5-14 x50 with m1 turrets. Adjustments are in IPHY vs MOA. Super nice scope, but it is weak for precision LR shooting as compared to my Night Force 5.5-22 x 56. I wish it had a bit more power but I did shoot a couple of yotes with it and it works well enough on the flee bags.

I forgot to mention that I'm also shooting VMAXs out of my .243 which is what I recommend for yotes and varmints. They're 87gr and I'm getting 3250 FPS with them, they have a respectable BC of .400 and shoot extremely well.

I think you are on the right track in regards to cal. it comes down to the proper application and bullet you pick,i personally like a little more power in the scope but our desert dogs do run on the small side.

I think you are on the right track in regards to cal. it comes down to the proper application and bullet you pick,i personally like a little more power in the scope but our desert dogs do run on the small side.

I agree with you. Thats why I suggested the Redfield 6-18x44 for a relatively affordable scope with targeat knobs and with the AccuRange reticle its suppose to make long range shooting easier. My cousin has one of these 6-18 Redfields but with a fine duplex reticle and it is very clear and has great clicks. Its on a Savage .243 and we are going to set it up with a range card and he's using it for deer, coyote, and varmints.

just my two cents, if I were to have a dedicated varmint gun I would like a build an AR in .243 or .260 and try to keep to keep it near 10 lbs. Until then my 25-06 with 85gn nosslers do a nice job. my scope is a 4x12 prostaff witch I feel is plenty scope for the range of my rifle, however a bigger objective lens would be ideal for low light conditions......E

An AR chambered in .243 would be pretty sweet to say the least. I have seen ARs in .243 WSSM before but that shell is a barrel burner in my opinion. A .260 AR would also be a great option but for varmints I believe the .243 would be the best.

Thanks for all the incite, do any of you have any experience with the remington 700 sps varmint? I have been reading lately that the stock is junk, and I am wondering if this is just people nitpicking the rifle or if there are serious flaws. I understand the stock will not compare to a custom stock, however my goal for is to be able to shoot a minimum of a 1 moa groups with this rifle, will I be able to do so with this stock or will I have to replace to in order to achieve this?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.