New rifle, and would like some suggestions

teddy12b

Hello,
I just picked up a Remington 750 in 30-06 with the 22" barrel last night. I'd like to know what you all would recommend for a good hunting/target bullet. I ant to be able to cleanly take game as far as the rifles accuracy will allow. Any recommendations?

This fall I'm going to take this rifle on a baited black bear hunt where the shots will be within 100 yards easily, so I'm going to use my handloaded 220gr rounds for that hunt.

I'm hoping my handloads will shoot decent enough in the rifle for this upcoming hunt, but in case they don't I'd like to back the bullet weight down to 165 - 190 bullets. After this bear hunt, in the future I could see taking this rifle out after deer, and possibly a moose or elk if I ever got the chance.

Some bullets just seem to shoot better than others and I'm really looking to see what's the next best choice if the 220gr handloads are all over the place. I've got some 180gr SST's, 165gr interlocks, and 168gr tipped triple shocks that will all be getting loaded up soon, but I'm trying to consider other options too.

I shoot the SST's out of my 700 '06 and have never been let down. The wound channel they leave is awesome and shoot real well out of my rifle. just my .02.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.