Suggestions for first LR custom

atomiclab

I am looking for advice and opinions on building a long range / varmint rifle.
I have a modest budget, so I was hoping to stay around $1,500 or less for rifle, stock and smithing if possible.

I was thinking of a savage for the base rifle, but what to chamber it in?
Lately I have been thinking about maybe a 6mm Rem, or 6mm Rem Ackley.
also I do love all things 6.5mm.

also 28" 30" 32" barrels are alright by me too. I just want a little wind bucking and enough down range energy for small game.

I want something that will have enough energy at least for a coyote at 1K, and be a fun gun to shoot from the bench for paper punching and ringing gongs.

also reloading components affordability are a consideration too (ie. 6mm bullets cost less than 338 bullets, and putting 50gr powder per case costs less than 100 gr powder per case) Obviously, you guys get what Im saying.

anyway.

thanks for your help and opinions

6XC in a 28" 1:7 twist. You can use 115 DTAC, JLK, or Berger bullets. 38.5 grains of H4350 seems to be the standard, but RL17 can also be used. I would read the article below, and go to Tubb's sight and check out what he has to offer for components and information. It is just as good as the .243Win, but better on barrels and very accurate. This was designed by David Tubb and has won some high power competitions with it. No shame in this round and will put the smack down on yotes and vermin. You could probably even use this for deer to around 600-700yds with good shot placement.

6XC Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com

As for 6.5mm, the 6.5x47Lapua would be my choice. It has great ballistics and guys here have shown some very good long range groups using both 140 and 123 grain bullets. H4350 for the 140's and RL15 for the 123's. 26-28" barrel will optimize this little round, but you could go with a 24" and still do well to 1000yds plus. This will do all the 6XC will do with about the same amount of powder.

Now I'm going to bring in the classic. The .308 Winchester will do all you want it to do also. Plenty of ammo out there, and components aren't going to be all that more expensive than any of the 6.5's or 6mm. They are just a little sexier than the old work horse. Just a thought.

Tank

i too am looking to build a second LR custom for my son and i and after looking at all the sexy calibers as liltank puts it, we decided to go with the 308. we are looking at the remington 700 action with heavy barrel and either a AICS 1.5 chassis system or possibly the Whiskey 3 chassis system. then work on the optics from there.

id suggest using a commercial mauser like interarms mark x or remington 798 in 7mm remington mag. they make excellent long range hunting rifles. and they dont cost as much as a 700 either.

I would consider a 260 Rem in either a Rem 700 or Savage action. Very solid LR ballistics, low recoil, wide range of bullets and extremely accurate.

I forgot to comment on the action. If you don't mind a single shot, I would suggest the Savage target action. If you want a repeater, then I would look at a Steven's action, or find an old Savage action and rebuild it. Stockade makes bottom metal and great stocks. CDI also makes good bottom metal for the Savage/Stevens actions. Get an oversized machined recoil lug. For a barrel, give Sin-Arms a go. They carry Savage/Stevens prefits for $275. They use Lothar Walther barrels which I use and love. It shoots very nicely. EGW makes a good inexpensive base that works very well. They are aluminum, but they do offer a steel version that is a little more expensive.

I forgot to comment on the action. If you don't mind a single shot, I would suggest the Savage target action. If you want a repeater, then I would look at a Steven's action, or find an old Savage action and rebuild it. Stockade makes bottom metal and great stocks. CDI also makes good bottom metal for the Savage/Stevens actions. Get an oversized machined recoil lug. For a barrel, give Sin-Arms a go. They carry Savage/Stevens prefits for $275. They use Lothar Walther barrels which I use and love. It shoots very nicely. EGW makes a good inexpensive base that works very well. They are aluminum, but they do offer a steel version that is a little more expensive.

Yes, I have a repeater in mind. I was wondering if the stevens action is just as good to use as a savage action, especially if I have it smithed and cleaned-up and squared.

What about a 6.5x55. or 6.5x55 Ackley
or even a 6mm-284.

I have a 6.5x55 in a CZ rifle. I love this round. I got one mention for a 260 Rem earlier.

6.5x55/AI would be a great option. They can shoot faster than the 260 with modern loading. The Stevens makes a great action for a custom build. You can get them generally cheaper than a Savage and usually at new rifle cost. A lot of guys have successfully gone this route. A Rifle Basix trigger and some bolt tuning works wonders.

In the budget range you are looking at it shouldn't be an issue to find a used rem 700 and get it trued and rebarreled into any caliber you want.
I'd lean to the .308 as well just for the plethora of components availiable.
You could probably have your rifle up and running with a new top quality barrel and trued at right around $1200 staying with quality components and still have $300 to buy loading supplies.
I know lots of folks like the savage guns around here but for resale value later on, the custom remington will hold it's value far better for when you decide it's time to change up your rig. Another thing to consider is you can find some great deals on some used gear around here as well.

Savage target action already tweaked from Fred Moreo at Sharp Shooter supply. $500 or so

Go with the 6.5x47 and the Berger/JLK 130s. They are shoot flat (2950-3000 fps), low recoil and very accurate.

This will shoot as flat as the 6.5x55 with 140s and no case forming. Will shoot with the 260 or better and way cheaper than the 6XC on brass and dies etc.

Shilen pre-fit (chambered) barrel in 8 or 8.5 twist. $325

Pick your stock. However, look at the Stockys LR Bobby Hart stock for $300 with bedding block, clear coated, sling swivels, recoil pad ready to drop your barrelled action into.

My 6.5x47 is my go to play around and steel target gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts