33 Nosler barrel length suggestions

UCzO___

I am in the process of building a 33 Nosler and would like input on the barrel length. It will be carried in the woods some, so no 28+" barrels. I carried a 24" on my last hunt and am carrying a 22" on my next hunt. I guess my question is with performance of this cartridge in shorter barrels. Is 22" too short?

TIA

I just built a 30-28 Nos and went 24 braked. I strongly considered a 22 for weight reduction and overall compactness when loaded in my pack. I comprimised with the 24 plus brake and really like it. Well I like the feel of it, shooting it for the first time tomorrow... :)

Last edited:
I guess my question is with performance of this cartridge in shorter barrels. Is 22" too short?

It depends on your bullet and powder combination, obviously. There are several variations which will perform well and get all the powder burned in a shorter barrel.

Example:

I was asked to build a 33 Nosler in a 22" barrel using the 225 Badlands Super BD2. He wanted the ability to shoot it with and without the suppressor. This was a stellar combination with Re-17 powder but using a 3.600" chamber. We tested this combination at 300 yards with a 1-1/4" average for 3-3shot groups.

Hodgdon Hybrid 100V worked well except for a little loss in velocity, cooler burning powder.

VVN-555 is just as good but a little harder to find sometimes. Good middle velocities being slightly cooler burning than the Re17.

We used Peterson brass, won't tolerate Nosler.

Enjoy the process!

:)

It will be braked or suppressed. It will not be in a pack, but slung across my chest so the length becomes more critical. 24" with a brake worked, with my 7SS, but I was hoping to reduce weight with this one. I may look at Carbon Fiber, though I was hoping to avoid it. I don't have a load worked up yet, obviously, but have on hand TTSX 225, HH 260 and LRX 280's. Looking to throat it out so I can get to 3.600". I was hoping that that extra capacity's velocity increase could offset the shortening of the barrel to 22".

I like what your thinking and that was my thoughts when I was considering 22.

Take a look at the performance Cody is getting out of his 20 inch 30 nosler. He has a thread that documents it really well. The 33 will do a little better given the larger bore diameter helps compensate for barrel length.

I have built a number of 338s. If I was to do a 33 nosler and shoot 225 to 250s I'd do it with a 20 in barrel maybe even a 18in barrel . I love shooting with a suppressor so I'd probably go 18--but 20 would be a good compromise. 22 would be fine, but to long with a suppressor

Recent Posts