270 WSM - New Barrel & suggested throat length?

coppi24

Adding a new 24" 1-9 twist Benchmark Barrel on a Kimber Montana rifle that is my go to mountain elk, deer, & bear medicine. For past ~ 10 years I have been using 140gr Barnes TSX very successfully. Although I have been happy with the 140gr TSX, with a little faster twist wouldn't mind trying some of the longer 150-160gr bullets as well. I'm not looking at the extremely heavy/long bullets such as the 170 EOL. Curious on learning or hearing feedback from those that may have already done something similar, what throat length would you suggest?

8 twist will handle 160-175gr bullets. I'd go 8 twist to give you all bullet options available. Your Montana has a 3.1" magazine box, pick the bullet you want to run, seat it to 3.06" and have a reamer made of that dummy round. That way when seated 20-30k off lands, you'll have 50-60k of magazine space to chase lands.

I agree with Highdrum get a 1/8 twist and throat it long and you will unleash the beast. Mine shoots 145 ELD-X at 3300 in one hole, shoots 165 ABLR in to .750 and 170 EOL into one hole. My COAL with 170 EOLs is 3.120 At 3050 fps.
His kimber is a bit limited on mag length unfortunately. Long for a short action, but not long enough with the wsm throated out. My 300 wsm throated for 215s is 3.18 to lands lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.