Stop neck sizing your brass!!!

chill Buck. No disparagement intended. It's all good.
I was just trying to tell you that I don't know what I'm doing on a computer as much as a 5th grader. Just like the video that FEENIX posted I didn't know how to get sound out of it. wasn't trying to be smart in any way, just showing every one that I am not that familiar with computers. Hope this clears that up. Good luck hunting and be safe.

Len,

As the OP, I agree with you, we need to do a better job in self-policing our interactions. I posted it for what is worth and never intended it to get out of control.

Cheers!

Ed
I did the same, and I think people not understanding exactly what someone else is trying to say, gets things out of wack.

I use Norma brass in My 308 Norma and of course everyone has or at least used to have the right to their own opinion, Norma brass is said to be one of the best brands of brass available and helps ensure good alinement without having to take many of the other steps to ensure that. Afraid to post anything confirming anything by anybody like others do. Thought that's what these sites were for, bringing different things to light and letting people try them and decide what method works best for them. Looks like partiality is being shown.

I'm not trying to run down what others do. I hope you didn't take it that way. In all fairness, I should have put it in the form of a question instead of a statement.
I've been on the fence about trying neck sizing. It's just confusing to me to read about how the accuracy is supposed to get better with an exact fitting case, but yet I get less than MOA with virgin brass. However, I don't shoot 1000 yards.

Full length resizing is more accurate, all it takes is to visit Benchrest Central or Accurate Shooter to see what method competitive shooters are using.

A neck sizing die does not fully support the case body and hold it in alignment with the case neck.
A neck sized case if warped when first fired will no longer have the base of the case 90 degrees to the axis of the bore. And this will cause the case to tip in the chamber because the base is contacting the bolt face.

A full length resized case with .001 to .002 shoulder bump does not have the base of the case contacting the bolt face. Also the body of the case is not touching the chamber walls and a warped case will have far less influence on bullet alignment with the bore.

The cartridge should fit the chamber like a rat turd in a violin case.

12.JPG

The NECO, patented, Case Gauge is the most versatile instrument available for measuring the various accuracy determining factors of cartridge cases, bullets and loaded ammunition. No other gauge can measure all of the following: 1.Banana curvature of case. 2.Wall and neck thickness variations. 3.Case head squareness. 4.Banana curvature and out-of-round shape of individual bullets. 5.Runout of seated bullet. 6.Total runout of loaded cartridge.

The best part about reloading is the person pulling the press handle decides how to do it!
Even if they are neck sizing and doing it wrong.................
TyF116l.gif

Last edited:
I'm not trying to run down what others do. I hope you didn't take it that way. In all fairness, I should have put it in the form of a question instead of a statement.
I've been on the fence about trying neck sizing. It's just confusing to me to read about how the accuracy is supposed to get better with an exact fitting case, but yet I get less than MOA with virgin brass. However, I don't shoot 1000 yards.
I didn't take it that way, I was just saying what type of brass that I use and what I have heard about Norma brass, I don't think you even stated what type you were using you may be using Norma brass for all I know. I just try to help people out is all I try to do buy telling them things that I have seen or read just like you were doing or anyone else does, if people don't agree that is perfectly ok with me. My brass was also new, just wanted to pass on a little imfo. on Norma Brass that I have seen.

Not trying to start anything, I am a little gun shy right now, I didn't see anything wrong with this thread, I thought it was **** good information coming from both views, and that is what I like, lots of information so if someone wants to change the way they do something they know why and how. Now in your case, as I said my Norma brass was virgin brass also for my 308 Norma magnum and it has always shot accurate from the second time it was loaded. The first time was just to fire form my cases, the second and every time that they have been loaded since they have shot excellent. I only neck sized them but I don't think that, by you not doing so would keep them from shooting under MOA, something else I think is going on. I would first make sure that my scope bases are tight then the scope. I'm sure you have played around with different powders and charges, if not you could try that. Some guns are also real fussy about the bullet used, I would try different bullets also, I like bullets with high B.C.'s . This can be a nightmare trying to find out what is wrong, Is the rifle bedded good, my last nightmare was with a Remington model 783, 300 win. mag. that I bought in July 2017. I couldn't get my groups under about 1.5"s at 100 yards, took it to the gun shop and the gunsmith put one piece Leupold base ring combos on it, he said I had a lot more clicks to the right then what I did to the left and he said I had a lot of copper build up also. I bought what he said brought his daughters 308's accuracy back. IT's a foam that you spray down the barrel and let it sit over night, barrel down on a towel. I also wire brushed it and cleaned the bore with several different copper removers. Anyhow when I got it back up to my range and got it sighted in again my 3 shot groups were averaging 3/4 to 1 inch groups. I don't know if this model rifle is capable of shooting any smaller groups than that or not. Its a cheap gun I bought to be able to have a carry gun that I can shoot out to 600 yards with, and the scope is only a $100 Bushnell Banner scope. I think with a better scope a better rest I may be able to improve that group a little bit, but it isn't a competition rifle and it will never shoot as good as one. None of these things may be your problem I am just trying to help. Hope you have luck sooner than later finding what is wrong.

I read a lot of guys saying the second or third shot neck sizing is their most accurate spot, the cases are just getting blown out to the place where we who FL correctly run only we never have to do a large FL sizing when things get tight and make a larger change than a correctly fitted and set die will put you FL sizing Everytime.

I find it interesting that none of the neck sizing guys are throwing tantrums telling the full length sizing guys that they are doing it all wrong. What does it mean, maybe nothing but it is interesting. The benchrest.com/accurate shooter comment is irrelevant because I could have said the same thing 20 years ago and they would have all been neck sizing.

All of these inaccurate neck sizing dies throwing out bananna cases must be bushing dies, because I sure can't confirm any of this stuff from my experience using Lee collet dies.

I'm considerably new to reloading (30+ years) compared to some of the members here. I started with full sizing and like I noted, I tried neck sizing but ended up going back to full sizing.

Which process/practice came first, neck sizing or full sizing?

Last edited:
Ok...seeing how the Jefe has tamed everyone down...

Whats the scoop with the collet dies?

I used them the first time as the direction indicated...I called my dad telling him how great they were...how quick you could process a bunch of cases. Then found that very few calibers have collet dies available.

Confused would be an understatement!

Ok...seeing how the Jefe has tamed everyone down...

Whats the scoop with the collet dies?

I used them the first time as the direction indicated...I called my dad telling him how great they were...how quick you could process a bunch of cases. Then found that very few calibers have collet dies available.

Confused would be an understatement!

Lee will make you a collet neck sizing die for almost any cartridge you want. All you have to do is call.

Lee will make you a collet neck sizing die for almost any cartridge you want. All you have to do is call.

I seen that when I went to investigate buying more, but heard it was costly.

It's seem to me that collet dies would be the greatest thing since sliced bread to come along, but I've never got a straight answer as to whether they are better or not.

When I called my dad I was excited...possibly no more trimming, no more case lube, no more neck lube, possible longer case life, huge plus for a wildcat...don't have to mess with all the extra steps before dumping the in the tumbler...what's not to like about it?

But when I seen they only stock a hand full of different chamberings...it made me doubt the popularity. There are dozens of different dies for every caliber, but not the collet dies...