Stocks.

Hi all, I am a bit old school, l love a good walnut stock with the MonteCarlo cheek peace, all of my rifles and shotguns are timber stocks, bedded and floated.
I use my rifles for hunting mainly, but also do a bit of Lr target which I enjoy as l am competing against myself (as l only do 10-15 hunting trips a year).
And yes, l find the fit of the stock is as important as the rest of the stuff we do to rifles, a great fitting stock allows the most accurate shooting making the job a lot more fun.
Safe shooting,
Graham.

I've been using McMillan stocks for about 28 years now. I had their copy of the Remington Mountain rifle stock on my 7mm STW for over 23 years. It spent a lot of time being dragged around the desert for Coues deer and around the high plains and pine Forest for elk and antelope. That rifle was turned into a 7 LRM and the stock changed to a McMillan Adjustable Game Warden. And handed down to my grown son. I had a 7 LRM built using an Adjustable Game Scout. My latest rifle, a 6.5 PRC, is wearing a McMillan Game Hunter. We have found these hybrid stocks very useful for our primary hunting style where most of our shots are taken in the prone position. The older stock was straight fiber glass. The new ones are all carbon fiber with the Edge light weight fill. My Game Hunter was 23 ounces making my final bare rifle weight right at 6.7 lbs.

I have no issues with the B&C, HSP, and other "non-plastic" stocks, my favorite stock to be used primarily for long range hunting/shooting where the rifles are heavier and low, supported positions are frequent is the McMillan A3. The high cheek, straight grip is for me, the most comfortable and natural "low" shooting position design. My most used stock configuration that has a more conventional open grip and overall design is the "Jackson Hunter" synthetic on my Copper 52. I like its balance, ergonomics, action fit, aesthetics, and overall workmanship. I believe it's a B&C stock. It's close to the format I've used for 50 years of hunting...familiar and is quite versatile. Having become addicted to PRS over the last few years, I have become quite accustomed to the chassis systems like the MPA which have many of the same, or more "functional attributes" of the A3. While, IMO, these are generally too heavy(and awkward) for a practical hunting rifle that will be frequently carried, lighter weight/trimmer hunting MPA version drew me into giving this design a try for LRH. The bedding system is rock solid, and the overall rifle, very durable. I just returned from Wyoming whitetail hunt where I gave it a try for a week. Functionally, it worked out quite well. Quite easy to get on target, and make accurate long range hits from different positions, particularly given my frequent use of this design for PRS where stable shooting positions need to be built in short order. It did get the job done, making solid hits on varied targets/shooting positions out to 1000 yards, and ultimately taking a whitetail. Must admit, with all the metal, it looked and felt more like I had a compound bow in my hands then a hunting rifle. It takes some getting used to, but I've have a suspicion that they just might catch on for LRH down the road.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.