Stiller Predator, Lawton, or Borden Alpine

SHW

I have always just had my smith true & square a Rem or Win action, but I want to go a different route this time. It will be a 300 RUM with a Lilja tube & McMillian stock. I have a #2 contour barrel already, but I will probably oreder a #4 instead. If I go with a #4 tube I will also go with a edge stock. This will be a all around rifle for anything from antelope to elk, but mostly whitetails inside of 450 yards.

I truly respect the opinions of the members here, and would like actual experiences with the following actions: Stiller Predator, Lawton, & Borden Alpine. Pros & cons of each please. As I said this will be my first time using a custom action.
THANKS

I have many samples of all these receivers in my shop right now. First off, let me say if the rifle is built correctly, all will produce a 1/2 moa rifle.

Ranking them would go like this.

#1 Borden
tied for #2 Stiller and Lawton

The Borden will be on par with the Nesika Bay receivers as far as bolt lockup fit to the receiver and squareness.

The Stiller and Lawton receivers are a bit looser fitted and tend to be not quite as square as the Borden but still pretty good. Lawton just recently discovered a problem with the bolts they were using and now report that their receivers are as square as any out there. I have not gotten any of the new Lawtons in yet to mic however.

All are a significant improvement over the Rem 700, even a trued Rem 700 because of the receiver strength they offer compared to a Rem 700.

The Borden ranks higher in my opinion but is also more expensive as well so that has to be considered.

Kirby Allen(50)

I also have 4 Stiller Predators, 1 Nesika "K", 2 Farley and 1 BAT in my shop, at this time. 3 of the Stillers belong to the same customer. He asked me to measure all 3 to determine if the headspace was identical. I have never seen any action, in this price range, that was so well machined. All 3 had identical headspace, bolt diameters and bolt to action body fit. For the money, I see no better action on the market.

DocEd,

What variation across the bolt face did those three Stillers have measured to the front of the receiver face?

Headspace is one thing, squareness is something different, just curious what your receivers are measuring out. Some i have are nearly perfect, others are not.

Kirby Allen(50)

I have one of the Borden Alpine's built into a 300 WSM sheep rifle. I couldn't ask for a better or more accurate action action. Kevin Weaver who built the rifle, measured the Borden and comparied it to the Stiller Predator. He reports that the Borden is hands down the more pricesion action.
Here are some PICS of the first group shot.

DR B

I believe that Bordens actions are very good actions. Possibly the best out there. I also believe that, as I stated earlier, "for the money, the Predator is hard to beat".

Kirby, everything I have measured on the Predator seems to check out. I know we all have our "favorites" but I am really impressed with the Predator. Very true actions at a bargain price.

I am sure we agree that if the receivers are true, square and strong we could care less whos name is on them!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kind of like barrels, there are so many good ones out there that any barrel from the top end makers will work just as good as another barrel if they are all installed properly.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts