Stiller Predator Switch barrel

etisll40

I have a Stiller Predator with a #5 Broughton barrel chambered in 7 stw, and I'd like to be able to switch back and forth to a 300 wm. I was thinking about getting a 28" barrell from Broughton and wondered if it was possible to have a switch barrel set up. I have another stock for tactical shooting and I could have it bedded and I was thinking I'd just have to take the action out of the current stock, unscrew the barrel and screw in the 300 wm barrel and put it in the other stock? Is this possible? Any gunsmith do this and/or could do it for me?

Thanks

It CAN work that way, but it sounds like you want two completely different rifles since you have another stock. I would just build another rifle and save the trouble of swapping stuff around. You could still share a scope between them and you would have the added expense of an action, trigger and scope base.

Now that I think about it you're probably right. But if I do it how I was thinking everything will be the same except stock and barrel. The main reason for the other stock is that it won't be for hunting. just range and targets. I'm thinking about an aluminum chassis, maybe an XLR. The barrel will be longer, 28" and maybe fluted. everything would match. So, I'm looking at maybe $1,100 and I don't have to buy mags, Jewel trigger or action. I'm looking at saving on an action, rail, mags, trigger for sure, that's $2,000 minimum. During hunting season, I doubt I'll need more than my stw shooting 180 grain bullets in the nice hunting stock it's sitting in now. I think aluminum target chassis hold their value pretty well. If I decide I prefer 300 wm over an STW, I could dump the chassis. Who knows.

So, can a switch barrel be done and by whom? I still would like to know if it's doable and how much I guess.

Do you have an action and barrel wrench yet? There's an extra couple hundred. One thing with the predator action, although they are a pinned lug, in changing barrels that little pin is liable to shear off. I would still just build another rifle if you're going to be using each one at least once a year (switching over). But to answer your question, any gunsmith on here can do that work for you. Just have them stake a witness mark on the existing barrel before taking it off, make sure they understand the headspace on the action is to remain the same and fit another barrel to the action. Put another witness mark on the new barrel, make sure you have the proper tools to remove the barrel and go for it.

Shilen and several others sell a "Rem/age" system, where you use a Savage-style barrel nut which they provide to allow for easy swaps. As long as your scope was on QR mounts, you could do this. I have a Savage set up to go between smokeless ML and .243Win. All you need to switch are the gauges, a Savage barrel wrench, and a homemade action vise.

If cost is not an option, however, I would second the opinion to build a second gun. Switching is a pain and then you have to sight in again. I've had my .243 barrel on exactly twice in four years. The Rem/age is a good option for people who want to build their own rifle without a smith involved though.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts