Starting to Plan My First Custom Rifle

You said you want this rifle to "Scratch an Itch" for a good while to come.

Consider projectiles from 2011-2012. Look where we're at today. Where will we be in 10yrs?

1:8 would be the MINIMUM twist I'd consider on any .284 today and 1:7 would be even better.

.284 160gn Badlands Super BullDozer already requires 1:7, other manufacturers are likely to push that envelope in the future.

I had my .257Wby done in '08 w/1:10 twist. Nobody was talking about fast-twist/high-BC 25's at the time, but, I should've seen it coming given the direction .224, .243, .264, .284 were headed and I should've banked some extra twist from the get-go.

I agree with Horse1. If I could of went with a 7 twist I would of. But they had a 7.5 twist so I went that route. Plus on this rifle I'm hoping to shoot lighter weight mono or lead core only for hunting out to 500 yds. Also as mentioned I went with the Tenacity to same some money. Should have the gun completed next week. Problem is we are covered up in snow and -20 to -30C temperature. May have to wait to shoot it.

I like the way you are thinking. I understand there is a point when too fast of a twist can cause problems if you are shooting cup and core. I'm not sure what other problems can be encountered when you start getting into extremely fast twist rates other than disintegrated in flight bullets. I wish I had more knowledge on where the limits were.

If you reload have you considered an 18-22" 7 saum. Not sure if that's been mentioned yet but it will get you similar ballistics with lighter package. Make suppressor use more comfortable as well. If your dead set on cartridge I totally understand that.

Action: Defiance Deviant Hunter - I don't have much experience with custom actions. Will consult with the gunsmith, but have heard many solid reviews on Defiance actions.
Stock: Manners MCS-LRH looks to be in the running.
Barrel: Proof Carbon Fiber Sendero contour. 24" 1-8.4 twist
Trigger: Trigger Tech
Bottom Metal: Hawkins MBE-2
Scope: VX6HD 3-18x50mm. Lightest I could find with quality glass and features I like.
Rings: TBD
I am trying to keep rifle weight to under 8.5 lbs with scope. Ranges will vary, but I am not an ELR guy. Most of hunts do not present a shot beyond 600.
Hey Mark- sounds like a nice build! I have built a few customs over the last 4-5 years, one of which is VERY similar to yours. I actually ended up with a 280 Sherman and shoot 143gr monos, but that's not what I'm replying about...I'm here to talk about WEIGHT.

My build weight came in at 8 pounds 12 ounces on my kitchen scale, and I think yours will come in a bit over that- here's why:

Action- I went with a Stiller Predator. Similar in weight to the Defiance, but NO built in rail. This allowed me to put a Titanium rail on top, and saves a couple of ounces over the Defiance/any action with a steel rail. I also went with lightweight Nightforce rings, but have Hawkins Hybrids on another build and that setup saves even more weight than light rings on a rail. I would do that for your build, but that's me.

Barrel- I went with a Proof Sendero Light at 24" with a 1:8 twist- again, basically all the benefits of CF but saves a couple of ounces over the Sendero.

Stock- I went with the EH3. Weight is a bit under that of the LRH by 3-4 ounces I believe. I also own a LRH, but I have one with a mini-chassis. If you go LRH, do not get the mini-chassis and keep the standard recoil pad (1/2") instead of the bigger 1" pad, as this combo will add about 7 ounces to the published weight of the stock.

Scope- I have the VX6HD 3-18x44. Very close to your 50mm but it's a bit lighter (19oz). Same everything else.

Bottom metal- I used a magpul DBM because they are super light. I also have Hawkins on another build and like them a lot too. Flip a coin here, haha.

Trigger- I used a TT Special. I have a Diamond in another build. Both are great, but the 280 Sherman was for hunting in the rockies with gloves on, so I went with the heavier pull weight of the special for my needs.

If you consider the above, you should be able to get close to your 8.5 pound goal weight. Getting at or under 8.5 pounds will be tough though, unless you consider going to a shorter 2b contour barrel that's fluted, and maybe use a titanium action. You could also go Defiance anTi for a steel action that's been trimmed and will save you about a half pound. I have one in SA, and love it!

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Last edited:
I like the way you are thinking. I understand there is a point when too fast of a twist can cause problems if you are shooting cup and core. I'm not sure what other problems can be encountered when you start getting into extremely fast twist rates other than disintegrated in flight bullets. I wish I had more knowledge on where the limits were.
You won't overspin monos , the heaviest mono hammer makes is the 177 gr that recommends 1-8 or faster . If your strictly shooting monos 1-7 or 1.7.5 would be great . If you plan too be more versatile the 1-8 twist will cover most bullets . After a little research of what bullet options you want too shoot the 1-7.5 might be the ticket. The 1-7 might be too fast for anything but monos , I would have too really check that out.

Based on this great input, I believe I'm doing to go with 8 twist. I like to try different bullets, but probably will be in 140-168 gr. range for my hunting needs. I have and like the hammers, but also like the bonded lead core and Bergers. This should give me plenty of options for finding the bullet this rifle will like the most.
jpfrog - you provided a great deal of detailed input on saving weight. I will definitely consider these options.
I could not be in better place to vet my plans for a build. The level of experience and helpfulness is unparalleled on this forum.

I have this build for a year now

Action Deviant Hunter
Stock Grayboe Terrain
24" Brux #4 6.5
Trigger Tech Special
Hawkins BDL SA
VX6 HD 3-18X50
RINGS Vortex Precision

9 pounds 12 oz.

The action and barrel recommended by by local smith you used his own cooking to very effectively compete in PRS matches. Rifle was to be for rifle silhouette matches and chasing Coues up and down SE AZ terrain. It replaced my 7 pound 270win, light rifle with a bit of recoil makes longer hits more challenging.

Another vote for the AnTi action. I like AG Composites stocks over Manners, cheaper, and significantly quicker build time. I've also been guided away from the Proof CF Sendero Lite barrels. Been told by more than 1 rifle builder that the lite will bring in much more harmonics and harder to load for over the Sendero contour. And you're only saving 2-3oz.

Attachments

• 20210513_184352_2.jpg
    20210513_184352_2.jpg
    734.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210508_160103.jpg
    20210508_160103.jpg
    653.2 KB · Views: 54
They say age is a state of the mind. I've reached the ripe old age of 61. I feel like 90 this morning from hauling and splitting firewood yesterday. One of the reasons I am going with the 280ai is my supply of bullets and powders I have in the cabinets for my 7RM's. They are fun to shoot, but they are heavy and slow twist. I really like the idea of being able to use some of these components in a rifle that is designed by me to optimize the longer bullets. I also wanted to get away from the belt and feel comfortable hauling the rifle on long treks in the woods.
After looking more closely at actions yesterday evening, I am leaning more in the direction of the Defiance An Ti X. It definitely would shave off a few ounces compared to the Deviant. It would reduce some of scope mounting positions, but hopefully would still work well.
Now I need to determine if I want to bite the bullet and go suppressed. So many decisions to make……
Do not pay attention to them, AnTi-X sucks.
AnTi-X 2 of 2.jpg

AnTi-X 1 of 2.jpg

I've been very active in the outdoors for many decades. Purchased many factory rifles with very acceptable performance. I guess I am the point where I need to scratch an itch and start my plans for a custom build. Need is not the operative word, desire is the driving force. So here is my quick list of things I am considering:
Caliber: 280AI - I reload and love the .284 bullet. Less recoil on a lighter rifle just appeals to me, but still want reasonable velocity to reach out and touch something with deadly force at distance.
Action: Defiance Deviant Hunter - I don't have much experience with custom actions. Will consult with the gunsmith, but have heard many solid reviews on Defiance actions.
Stock: Manners MCS-LRH looks to be in the running.
Barrel: Proof Carbon Fiber Sendero contour. 24" 1-8.4 twist
Trigger: Trigger Tech
Bottom Metal: Hawkins MBE-2
Scope: VX6HD 3-18x50mm. Lightest I could find with quality glass and features I like.
Rings: TBD
I am trying to keep rifle weight to under 8.5 lbs with scope. Ranges will vary, but I am not an ELR guy. Most of hunts do not present a shot beyond 600.
I realize life is full of compromises, but if I'm going to spend this much on one rifle, it better stop the itch for a long time.
For those that are very versed in the custom rile world, please let me know where my thoughts are inadequate and provide input on things I should consider. My knowledge in components and gunsmith requirements are very limited.
Thanks.
Give Cooper Firearms a call. Easily the best rifle I have ever owned. They are getting my order for 3 rifles later in the year.