Starting to Plan My First Custom Rifle

Another vote for the AnTi action. I like AG Composites stocks over Manners, cheaper, and significantly quicker build time. I've also been guided away from the Proof CF Sendero Lite barrels. Been told by more than 1 rifle builder that the lite will bring in much more harmonics and harder to load for over the Sendero contour. And you're only saving 2-3oz.
That's not my experience

Mark, I just started a similar build. 280AI, terminus kratos lite, Hawkins 3-port brake, Hawkins bdl bottom metal, triggertech special, Manners eh1 cf, proof cf 24" 1/8.4 sendero lite. Expect bare rifle without scope/rings to be right at 6# 15oz.

Not intending to hi-jack your thread but a few things in this thread that raised some questions for me that I thought we may both find beneficial to hear more about all related to what barrel option.
  • Proof vs Bartlein - what are peoples thoughts on these two if both done cf (Bartlein #4 vs Proof sendero lite)?
  • If stay with proof cf, sendero lt vs sendero (comments about accuracy and harder to tune). Any more first hand experiences anyone can share?
  • Twist: 1/8 vs 1/8.4 twist. I understand longer bullet trend but I figured in the 280AI I won't shoot anything heavier than 180 Berger in cup & core and a 1/8.7 is sufficient. On monos 1/8.4 works up to 160s for most mfgs. Worried over-twisting issues with cup & core more explosive on impact so what's the right balance here?

Mark, I just started a similar build. 280AI, terminus kratos lite, Hawkins 3-port brake, Hawkins bdl bottom metal, triggertech special, Manners eh1 cf, proof cf 24" 1/8.4 sendero lite. Expect bare rifle without scope/rings to be right at 6# 15oz.

Not intending to hi-jack your thread but a few things in this thread that raised some questions for me that I thought we may both find beneficial to hear more about all related to what barrel option.
  • Proof vs Bartlein - what are peoples thoughts on these two if both done cf (Bartlein #4 vs Proof sendero lite)?
  • If stay with proof cf, sendero lt vs sendero (comments about accuracy and harder to tune). Any more first hand experiences anyone can share?
  • Twist: 1/8 vs 1/8.4 twist. I understand longer bullet trend but I figured in the 280AI I won't shoot anything heavier than 180 Berger in cup & core and a 1/8.7 is sufficient. On monos 1/8.4 works up to 160s for most mfgs. Worried over-twisting issues with cup & core more explosive on impact so what's the right balance here?
For the same contour, Bartlein is heavier than Proof. Both are fantastic barrels for life and accuracy, but a lot of that depends on the user and said user's treatment of the barrel.

Sendero Lite vs Sendero- I have both and haven't experienced issues listed. Both shoot great- much better than me!

Twist is personal preference but I tend to go for faster so I am not limited if I want heavier bullets down the road. Today's bullets hold up very well and don't rip apart like some older bullets would have done. I never really liked the word "sufficient" when making decisions ;)

Good questions, KsKevin.

#1) I have some of both along with some Christensen CF's. The Bartleins have more steel in the barrel - less CF wrapping. Both shoot very well for me. I don't do long shot-string testing, so can't speak personally on that. However, Kirby Allen did do a hot barrel test on my 7 Allen Mag when he built it. He thought the 400 MOD Bartlein held tighter than the Proofs he's tested when shooting cold-to-hot and back to cold again. The Bartlein will weigh more. Bartlein offers the 400 MOD harder stainless for longer barrel life. FWIW.

#2) There is something to a lighter setup being more difficult to shoot accurately at long range. Just not as forgiving as a heavier rifle. You'll need to pay more attention to your basics while behind the rifle. I personally would opt for the Sendero vs the lite version. Weight aside, I have a feeling that the difference will show up more on shot strings vs a normal hunting scenario. Never tried a lite myself. The full sendero blends better with brakes and suppressors if aesthetics matter to you.

#3) I run an 8 twist on a 7 Allen Mag with no problems. Don't think I'd run a 168 Berger through it at 7 AM velocities, but at 280 AI velocities you'll have no problems with 1:8. The 180's & 195's run fine in my Allen Mag, though my current load is the 150 Badlands mono at just under 3,700 fps. My vote would be an 8 twist, though if it was the difference between waiting 6 - 9 months for a new barrel vs an 8.4 twist in stock somewhere, I wouldn't run from the 8.4 tw for a 280 AI. Then again, if you're a perfectionist, you might be glad you waited for just what you wanted.

..and you'll love your action. Good choice.

I am a little depressed after a couple of emails with Greg at Southern Precision Rifles. His estimated order times on the Anti X and Proof barrels was approximately 9 months. Manners was approx. 6+ months. This puts the build at probably over a year. Ugh! I guess it is just a sign of the times we are living in. Any way I go I will need to have patience. I even called Fierce to see if they can build me a 280ai. The can build a CT Edge, but this would not fully scratch my custom itch.

I am a little depressed after a couple of emails with Greg at Southern Precision Rifles. His estimated order times on the Anti X and Proof barrels was approximately 9 months. Manners was approx. 6+ months. This puts the build at probably over a year. Ugh! I guess it is just a sign of the times we are living in. Any way I go I will need to have patience. I even called Fierce to see if they can build me a 280ai. The can build a CT Edge, but this would not fully scratch my custom itch.
Try some other options?

Terminus Kratos Lite
Joel @ Terminus: 717-805-0940 / [email protected]

Gunwerks Clymr stock
Dustin Wittwer | Inside Sales
[email protected] 307-206-2325

Consider a Benchmark carbon barrel? Blaine Painter at Unknown Munitions tells me they have found them to be fine shooting barrels.
[email protected] 541-580-8561

Just ideas for whatever it's worth. 🤠

Northkill - I am doing just that. Greg mentioned the Bartlein CF as an option (5 - 7 ounces heavier). I will check out the options you mentioned and start sourcing other options. Thanks for the contact info.

Northkill - I am doing just that. Greg mentioned the Bartlein CF as an option (5 - 7 ounces heavier). I will check out the options you mentioned and start sourcing other options. Thanks for the contact info.

Sure thing. Been very happy with the 4 Bartlein Carbons we've tried so far in various calibers. Just that they are a tad heavier, like you said. You do get color options with those. :)

Mark, I just started my build. Got a Proof 24" cf sendaro lite 1/8 twst delivered today as they had in stock. Terminus ordered 8-10wk lead time. Longest lead part is manners stock 6mo. I was going to do 1/8.4 twist but that was 8mo so went with in stock option at 1/8. There are options to get it sooner just check around. Best of luck on your build. Keep us posted.

Attachments

• 4064BA76-A4B2-48FA-81F3-EBDC5915C837.jpeg
    4064BA76-A4B2-48FA-81F3-EBDC5915C837.jpeg
    380.1 KB · Views: 23
Kevin - good luck with your build. Sounds like it will ultimately be a sweet rig. This probably going to be a long project for me. I'm ultimately not going to compromise and wait it out until I get exactly what I want.