Starting to Plan My First Custom Rifle

Mark37082

I've been very active in the outdoors for many decades. Purchased many factory rifles with very acceptable performance. I guess I am the point where I need to scratch an itch and start my plans for a custom build. Need is not the operative word, desire is the driving force. So here is my quick list of things I am considering:
Caliber: 280AI - I reload and love the .284 bullet. Less recoil on a lighter rifle just appeals to me, but still want reasonable velocity to reach out and touch something with deadly force at distance.
Action: Defiance Deviant Hunter - I don't have much experience with custom actions. Will consult with the gunsmith, but have heard many solid reviews on Defiance actions.
Stock: Manners MCS-LRH looks to be in the running.
Barrel: Proof Carbon Fiber Sendero contour. 24" 1-8.4 twist
Trigger: Trigger Tech
Bottom Metal: Hawkins MBE-2
Scope: VX6HD 3-18x50mm. Lightest I could find with quality glass and features I like.
Rings: TBD
I am trying to keep rifle weight to under 8.5 lbs with scope. Ranges will vary, but I am not an ELR guy. Most of hunts do not present a shot beyond 600.
I realize life is full of compromises, but if I'm going to spend this much on one rifle, it better stop the itch for a long time.
For those that are very versed in the custom rile world, please let me know where my thoughts are inadequate and provide input on things I should consider. My knowledge in components and gunsmith requirements are very limited.
Thanks.

I've been very active in the outdoors for many decades. Purchased many factory rifles with very acceptable performance. I guess I am the point where I need to scratch an itch and start my plans for a custom build. Need is not the operative word, desire is the driving force. So here is my quick list of things I am considering:
Caliber: 280AI - I reload and love the .284 bullet. Less recoil on a lighter rifle just appeals to me, but still want reasonable velocity to reach out and touch something with deadly force at distance.
Action: Defiance Deviant Hunter - I don't have much experience with custom actions. Will consult with the gunsmith, but have heard many solid reviews on Defiance actions.
Stock: Manners MCS-LRH looks to be in the running.
Barrel: Proof Carbon Fiber Sendero contour. 24" 1-8.4 twist
Trigger: Trigger Tech
Bottom Metal: Hawkins MBE-2
Scope: VX6HD 3-18x50mm. Lightest I could find with quality glass and features I like.
Rings: TBD
I am trying to keep rifle weight to under 8.5 lbs with scope. Ranges will vary, but I am not an ELR guy. Most of hunts do not present a shot beyond 600.
I realize life is full of compromises, but if I'm going to spend this much on one rifle, it better stop the itch for a long time.
For those that are very versed in the custom rile world, please let me know where my thoughts are inadequate and provide input on things I should consider. My knowledge in components and gunsmith requirements are very limited.
Thanks.
Nice list. What bullet are you hoping to load with?
Another action to put on your list would be the Terminus Kratos Lite if you want a smooth, accurate, light action.

Sounds like a nice build. Hoping to have my new 280 AI done by next weekend. Only thing to maybe consider is a bit faster twist barrel; if you want to shoot monos or even heavy for caliber. Would be a shame to limit yourself on bullets because of barrel twist being to slow.

Sounds like a nice build. Hoping to have my new 280 AI done by next weekend. Only thing to maybe consider is a bit faster twist barrel; if you want to shoot monos or even heavy for caliber. Would be a shame to limit yourself on bullets because of barrel twist being to slow.
Yep, the reason for my question about "which bullet"... I like the 8 twist for 7mm's like this.

I really appreciate the input. I really don't want to be limited on the 7mm bullets. I get what you are saying on the twist. I guess I was just accustomed to a factory 9.5 twist and was looking at an available 8.4 and thought this may be fast enough. I need to relook at the stabilization and twist required for those heavier/longer monos. 8 may be the ticket.
My biggest and most difficult decision has been on the action. With my limited experience with these customs it really has been a struggle. That is one of the primary reasons I reached out. I need to continue to research this until I find the right one. Need to sharpen my knowledge and hopefully handle some more. This won't be a competition rifle, but I'm really wanting to buy once and cry once on this build.
What is the advantage of the An Ti action over the Deviant?
Great input!!

I really appreciate the input. I really don't want to be limited on the 7mm bullets. I get what you are saying on the twist. I guess I was just accustomed to a factory 9.5 twist and was looking at an available 8.4 and thought this may be fast enough. I need to relook at the stabilization and twist required for those heavier/longer monos. 8 may be the ticket.
My biggest and most difficult decision has been on the action. With my limited experience with these customs it really has been a struggle. That is one of the primary reasons I reached out. I need to continue to research this until I find the right one. Need to sharpen my knowledge and hopefully handle some more. This won't be a competition rifle, but I'm really wanting to buy once and cry once on this build.
Great input!!
You won't overspin the monos go 1-8 twist

Great input!!
An Ti would save u some ounces.