Starting to look for a pack- scabbard or no?

I have an Alps Commander. After owning high end packs I won't wear it again. Its sturdy enough to haul as much weight as you can put on it. Belt is garbage. Almost always sagging down on everyone who has ever used it. Difficult to adjust the pack properly to different people. It is a cheap spare meat hauler that can take a beating to leave around base camp for anyone who needs one. I wouldn't recommend it for anything where you will be wearing it daily on long extended trips.

So this is one of the first of MANY rookie questions, I'm sure. Planning my first elk trip next fall. Planning to pack in a few miles, give or take, and stay for about a week. Will have 2-3 other guys with me.

I have been looking at Eberlestock packs with a built in scabbard (team elk pack looks like a dream, but wouldn't mind cutting a little cost since this is going to be used infrequently, unfortunately).

Who's got experience with these style packs? Are they worth it? Seems super convenient to me, but again I'm completely picturing this all in my head since I have no experience.

I also just saw this pack from Cabelas. https://www.cabelas.com/product/CAB...VF1mGCh3-RgLREAQYAiABEgJNafD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Expandable to 4,000 cubic inches. I like the option to expand the pack from the frame to haul out meat.

What would you recommend as far as internal volume? 4k seems nice... I'm also planning to pack in, and use the same pack as a day pack.

Opinions welcome!
I have an Eberlestock Low Drag pack. It is very comfortable

Had a team elk Eberlestock pack, which has a built in scabbard and used it for only one hunt. I found it to be uncomfortable and way too heavy. As mentioned, Stone Glacier or Mystery Ranch would be my choice

The only problem I've found with the Commander X, is the belt. It's not made for skinny people. You use just about all the belt. Once you adjust it for your height, it works fine.

I will come out and say first of all anyone who can carrying 50-70lbs repeatedly in a Eberlestock my hats off to you. You are definitely real men. The Eberlestock has no equal as far as I am concerned to being the worst pack ever. They have ZERO load lift. If money is an issue I would get a Kuiu they have good suspension and great bags but I have broken two frames so I will not go back. I personally would scrape more money together and get an EXO or Stone Glacier. Seek Outside are great packs as well. You may even be able to find one used on Rokslide.

I used to run a gunrunner for my sheep pack barrel hangs low don't ever fall!! I went to Mystery Ranch gun fits in side pocket strapped to pack side. My opinion MR is twice the pack and I just wear a solo cover on my rifle to protect. Plus I have the pack system for packing out Game after. I have a Pintler for day/overnight and Metcalf for my extended days.
The Solo Hunter rifle cover is awesome. I use it all of the time and it is super fast to remove. I strap it to my pack.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.