Starting to look for a pack- scabbard or no?

FrogFire7

So this is one of the first of MANY rookie questions, I'm sure. Planning my first elk trip next fall. Planning to pack in a few miles, give or take, and stay for about a week. Will have 2-3 other guys with me.

I have been looking at Eberlestock packs with a built in scabbard (team elk pack looks like a dream, but wouldn't mind cutting a little cost since this is going to be used infrequently, unfortunately).

Who's got experience with these style packs? Are they worth it? Seems super convenient to me, but again I'm completely picturing this all in my head since I have no experience.

I also just saw this pack from Cabelas. https://www.cabelas.com/product/CAB...VF1mGCh3-RgLREAQYAiABEgJNafD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Expandable to 4,000 cubic inches. I like the option to expand the pack from the frame to haul out meat.

What would you recommend as far as internal volume? 4k seems nice... I'm also planning to pack in, and use the same pack as a day pack.

Opinions welcome!

I've used several packs, including an Eberlestock with scabbard, and other sling mechanisms. The Eberlestock packs are high quality and the scabbard worked well for me, but today I use a lighter weight pack and nothing more than a sling hook or sling keeper. The link below shows one example. There are a couple others. If you don't want to hit a link, just search for "sling hook" or "sling keeper."

You'll need to decide based on your own hunting needs how big and heavy you want your pack. When I was younger, I carried bigger. As I've aged, my packs have shrunk.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UDFIERS/?tag=lrhmag19-20

I'm a big fan of Eberlestock and I have a few of their packs.
I especially like their Mainframe system with the Transformer pack and the scabbard for the "bolt sniper rifle".
I like the flexibility of it.
I like being able to pack meat between the bag and frame.

Scabbards are heavy. I just strap my rifle to my pack on the way in. Can't get to it fast but I'm not hunting so much as covering distance. When hunting, my gun is always in my hands. Walking out, I may carry it or strap it to my pack depending on a remote possibility of seeing game. There are also quick assess gun caddies from Kifaru and Stone Glacier for your pack, that weigh almost nothing.

One of my buddies has an eberlestock scabbard on his backpack, it's a waste of weight imo. He believes in keeping his rifles in showroom condition, and protecting from scratches is more important to him than hunting LOL

I have strapped my rifle to outside of my MR Metcalf to pack out meat, when I need both hands on trekking poles. I also use the Kifaru gun bearer now to carry rifle, it allows use of trekking poles and fast access to rifle if in bear country.

What I don't like about the way that rifle is hanging on the pack, it's too low. When I have put my rifle on the pack it's usually just because I need both hands for trekking poles. That's when pack is loaded with meat and close to 100#. I usually sit down to put my pack off and on when it's that heavy, the rifle hanging below the pack would interfere. The downside to strapping the rifle higher is going through brush and inder trees with barrel up like a flag pole. When I've packed out (done hunting), i try to avoid the dense trees and brush usually.

74D7C9C8-7884-45EF-9E66-ECA10441CB95.jpeg

Last edited:
My suggestion is to stay away from Eberlystock and Cabelas packs. Kifaru, Stone Glacier, EXO, Mistery Ranch, Kuiu, and Seek Outside all make good hunting packs that will weigh less and haul more weight comfortably. If you want your gun protected get a gun sock. A weeks worth of gear is going to take a large bag 6,000+ cubic inches. When carrying heavy loads long distance make sure you have functional load lifters with a tall enough frame to pull the weight up off your shoulders and transfer it down to your hips.

The Eberlestock Buttbucket can attach to any pack you choose to use.

I have several different packs. The duration of time spent in the field and weather conditions determine the size of pack I will carry. Having something like the "Buttbucket" that can attach to any pack is very nice.

I do not like the scabbard type carriers. No specific reason, just don't.

My suggestion is to stay away from Eberlystock and Cabelas packs. Kifaru, Stone Glacier, EXO, Mistery Ranch, Kuiu, and Seek Outside all make good hunting packs that will weigh less and haul more weight comfortably. If you want your gun protected get a gun sock. A weeks worth of gear is going to take a large bag 6,000+ cubic inches. When carrying heavy loads long distance make sure you have functional load lifters with a tall enough frame to pull the weight up off your shoulders and transfer it down to your hips.

I feel like this is probably the right answer... and I do honestly usually buy quality gear. I'm just having a hard time justifying that much for a pack I'm only going to use for a week. Maybe (hopefully) more in years to come, but I doubt I'll get out west again for at least a few years.

I do like the idea of a gun sock for packing, if quick acess isn't an issue!

And maybe a sling keeper, they do seem pretty useful :)

I have a dragonfly. I do like a lot of things about it except for the weight. If you could pick the pack you wanted look here for one a fellow member has for sale. I got mine from a fellow member and saved some money and it was better than decried. Just a thought

I used to run a gunrunner for my sheep pack barrel hangs low don't ever fall!! I went to Mystery Ranch gun fits in side pocket strapped to pack side. My opinion MR is twice the pack and I just wear a solo cover on my rifle to protect. Plus I have the pack system for packing out Game after. I have a Pintler for day/overnight and Metcalf for my extended days.

I've used the eberlestock pack. Believe it was the X1. It did work and is a well built pack but felt it was heavy. Plus the fact that if I was lucky enough to harvest an animal it wasn't real handy to pack a load out. And yes they do make bigger packs that will handle a load of meat, but they are even heavier. Went to a Kuiu icon pro. And purchased a lite inexpensive gun scabbard and put it between the pack and carbon fiber frame. Much lighter, more comfortable and can easily pack a quarter of an elk. I only have the 3200 bag, but even with it can pack enough gear to stay out for a couple of nights. Good luck with your decision and on your hunt. Be safe and have fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.