Started Load DEV 22-250/53g VMAX

I still intend to post results from the revised CFE 223 test with mag primers and the results using Varget. I was pressed for time and don't have those photos yet.

I also wasn't able to get on the 250 yard range, so I will have to wait to do any testing beyond 100 yards. I should still be able to put my final loads across the chrono to check muzzle velocity, ES, and SD numbers. That info will be coming soon and I will post it when I have it.

Here are the results with CFE 223, using mag primers, and Varget. Not bad, but RL-17 beat them both by a considerable margin.

Attachments

• P1000487.jpg
    P1000487.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 181
  • P1000488.jpg
    P1000488.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 189
No chrono work on any of these loads, yet. Ditto performance at longer range. My plans to do that were screwed up by Mr. Murphy. I may be able to do some chrono work this weekend. Will post results as I have them.

The 39.8 grain load was the winner, with a lower SD and a much lower ES. Average velocity was 3915 fps for ten shots.

53 VMAX/39.8 RL-17

AVG 3916
ES 43
SD 14

QL prediction is attached. The relevant OBT predicted node occurs at .978ms. The muzzle velocity average falls around .991ms, which is within the expected window of +/- .020ms.

Note the large discrepancy between predicted and actual powder charge (41.57 vs 39.8) in the QL prediction. This is a good example of why it is important to back off 10% from predicted max and work back up in 1% increments, watching carefully for pressure signs. Each round should be fired over a chrono, and actual velocity compared to predicted velocity, to verify the QL data before beginning a load workup.

SD for this load is .35%, which represents pretty darn good shot-to-shot consistency. This was achieved without sorting cases or bullets. While it may be possible to lower the SD slightly by performing such sorting, I am inclined to believe that the resulting gain would not be enough to make the effort worthwhile.

Attachments

• 53VMAX.JPG
    53VMAX.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 196
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.