6.5X55 95 VMAX/RL-17 LOAD DEV

benchracer

Over the years I have seen people ask for load information for the 6.5mm 95 VMAX, or make general inquiries about what sort of accuracy to expect, on a periodic, but infrequent basis. Invariably, the response to such questions seems to be the internet equivalent of a shrug and a blank look, leading me to believe there aren't many folks who have worked with this bullet.

Awhile back, a good friend of mine gave me an unopened box of 95 VMAX's, which I promptly forgot about. I happened to stumble across them recently, while looking for something else. I have been doing some other load work lately and needed something else to shoot while letting the barrel on another of my rifles cool. This seemed like a good opportunity to have a little fun.

My 6.5 Swede is built on a Zastava Mark X Commercial Mauser action, so there are no strength concerns and no reason to use book data as anything but a starting point. When working with any of the old military mauser cartridges in a modern action, I have learned to treat them like wildcat cartridges and develop my own data.

I decided to begin with a seating depth test, using a modified version of Berger's recommended test. Since there was no way this bullet was going to get anywhere near the lands, I decided to base my test on book length and go from there. Hornady book length for the 95 VMAX is 2.905". At that length, there is only .180 of the shank in the case neck. If the bullet were seated out another .040, there would be .140 of the shank in the case neck, just over half the bullet diameter. I decided that would be the practical limit for OAL and set the test lengths accordingly: 2.945, 2.905, 2.865, and 2.825.

From prior experience using Hornady 6.5x55 data in my rifle, I knew that even max listed loads in the 9th Edition are very mild loads. I had decided to use RL-17 for my initial development and chose to begin at 45.0 grains, one grain below listed max.

Here are the results of the seating depth test:

IMG_2891.JPG

Right off the bat, the 95 VMAX doesn't appear to be particularly finicky about seating depth. I decided to go with 2.865 as my chosen OAL.

ETA: The primers used were standard Federal 210's. I don't know why I wrote down 210M and didn't notice that I had done that before I posted the target pic.

Last edited:
The next step was to do a MIN-MAX runup to find my pressure limit and start to map powder charge vs velocity. The seating depth loads @ 45.0 grains of RL-17 were, indeed, VERY mild. I decided to skip the max listed charge of 46.0 grains and begin my testing @ 47.0 grains. I loaded five rounds, in one grain increments, from 47.0 to 51.0 grains. I encountered no pressure signs, of any kind, during my testing. However, Lapua brass is tough stuff that tends to resist showing pressure signs. When using softer brass in other chamberings (such as Winchester, PRVI, or Norma), I have consistently noted pressure signs at velocities corresponding to QL predictions of 63k-65k psi. Though the top load of 51.0 grains showed no pressure signs, and still felt like a mild load, I am treating it as max. Here are the results of the MIN-MAX runup:

Mark X Mauser
6.5x55
Shilen #4 contour barrel, 1:9 twist, 26"

RL-17
47.0 3278
48.0 3385
49.0 3469
50.0 3536
51.0 3625

Last edited:
Below are the QuickLoad predictions for this combination in my rifle:95VMAX.PNG

As is often the case, QL tends to overestimate the powder charge for a given velocity with RL-17. The OBT predicted node falls at a barrel time of 1.110ms +/- .020ms, which means a node should show up on the target at a muzzle velocity somewhere between 3390 and 3470. Based on recorded velocities from my MIN-MAX runup, I plan to begin my accuracy test at 48.0 grains and continue to slightly above 49.0 grains.

Last edited:
I have a Swede built on a Rem 700 LA, with a 29" Pac Nor 1 in 8 twist. My load is 47 gr. Of RL-15 at 3,500 fps, it is a laser! 1/4" groups at 100, and hits very hard.

I am not surprised to learn this. The 95 VMAX has shown a tendency toward being accurate, so far. Sounds like you have put together a fine shooter!

Well, life continues to interfere with my hobbies. FINALLY, I have some results. I began by testing from 48.0 grains to 49.2 grains of RL-17. I thought I had something promising @ 48.9 grains. But, when I loaded up about 20 rounds with that powder charge and shot them, they were very inconsistent. It was clear I had not yet developed a stable load. I decided to test higher powder charges to see what was there...

95VMAXRL17PG1.jpg

95VMAXRL17PG2.jpg

95VMAXRL17PG3.jpg

49.5 grains produced a group that looks pretty stable. It was interesting to me to note the waterline that appears @ 50.4 grains. The best group of the bunch appeared @ 51.0 grains. It measured .554 inches. The last group, @ 51.3 opened up to just under one inch.

NONE of my test loads showed pressure signs, though QL estimates my last two powder charges to be slightly above 65k psi. Here, again, I believe the strength of Lapua brass may well be the reason for this. I am not inclined to test any higher powder charges, despite the lack of pressure signs.

It is interesting to me that the best group of the load workup appeared right at what I consider to be my working max. This is consistent with how I have known RL-17 to behave.

NOTE: The upper left "impact" in the 51.3 group is just a drawn circle. During my testing, I placed one of the shots on a third target, adjacent to this one. Following testing, I located the errant shot in the group by overlaying the two targets and tracing the impact with a sharpie, to transfer it into the 51.3 group on the second target.

Last edited:
My next step is to verify the 51.0 grain load. I will load some up, shoot them to see if they are consistently accurate, and put a few across my Magnetospeed chrono.

If they prove out, I will have a combination that flies similarly to 69 grain Sierras from a fast twist 22-250, though far less efficient.

I also have a box of 100 grain ELD-M. The nose, ogive, and bearing surface appear to be identical to the 95 VMAX. The additional 5 grains of bullet weight seems to be in the longer boat tail on the ELD-M. I would expect the ELD-M to behave very similarly to the VMAX, in terms of powder charge and velocity. Upon completion of the VMAX workup, I will be testing the ELD-M's.

I haven't been able to get the 95 VMAX's to shoot consistently in my 6.5x55. It will start to group in a nice little cluster, then comes the inevitable fliers. I strongly suspect the long throat is to blame for this.

I did limited testing with the 100 ELD-M's. With the same powder charges, muzzle velocity is very close to the 95 VMAX's. The difference is less than 20 fps. Loaded to 51.0 grains, the 100 ELD-M's look like they might be what I am looking for in the Swede. I need to shoot a few more to be sure.

To confirm my theory about the long throat causing inconsistency with the VMAX's, I intend to try them in my .264 Win Mag and a friend's .260 Rem, both of which have short throats. I am expecting 3700+ from my .264 Win Mag. If I can make that work, I think that would make for one heckuva coyote load.

I shot the 100 ELD's @ 200 yards yesterday and couldn't get them to group acceptably. My Swede was spraying them around the target. I had a bit better luck with 107 SMK's, but still not good enough to bother with any more development.

Hornady 123 AMAX/ELD's appear to be the lightest bullet that will shoot well in my 6.5x55. Despite its 9 twist, it shoots 140 VLD's better than anything else I have tried.

I still intend to experiment with the lighter bullets in my .264 Win Mag. I am curious to see if its shorter throat will yield better results.

My 6.5x55 Swede is a sported 96 Mauser and with the 7 1/2ish twist and a throat a mile long I could not even get 100 gr bullets to shoot without fliers. 120 Nosler BT and Sierra Pro Hunters shoot lights out though and with the 29" barrel with a max load of AA 4350 that Accurate states is under 46000 CUP I still get average 2950 fps. If I ever decide to do some varmint hunting with my 6.5 Grendel's I may give the 95 Vmax a try but I just got them a few months ago and am working on deer hunting loads with 100s up to 130s right now.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.