RL 17 308 load

Nobody,

I figured somebody on here would have already done this. Just didn't want to reinvent the wheel.

Loaded up a ladder of RL-17 with a Speer 180 in Fed brass 210m and
got my best group little less than an inch with 47,5 out of a sporting rifle 22"
barrel this is load is for hunting Elk and Mule deer.......
When load is refined will post results, this may help.

Thanks, I'm just looking for a future project. I may also use the 175 grain Berger VLD. If I come up with anything I'll be sure to post it.

Loaded up a ladder of RL-17 with a Speer 180 in Fed brass 210m and
got my best group little less than an inch with 47,5 out of a sporting rifle 22"
barrel this is load is for hunting Elk and Mule deer.......
When load is refined will post results, this may help.

How is RL-17 compared to Varget? Varget max (recommended) for 168gr SMK's is 46.0gr...is RL-17 faster or slower? Is it better if I want to go to 180, 190 or 200gr pill?

Matt

RL17 is slower than varget and also produces a flatter pressure curve. I use 48gr RL17 behind a 208 A-max in my .308win. Now this is over max in most guns, but I still believe you'll have a hard time getting enough in behind a 165gr AB to cause pressure signs. Varget or RL15 would be much better suited.

im useing the RL17 in my 308 shooting the 175smk at 2860fps. I belive im useing 50.5g. It is a compressed load but shoots very good for me. Shot several groups in the .3s at 100yds

Shooting over a chronograph with the load posted averaged 2756 @ 15 ft
five shot group.
Shooting a 175gr SMK out of a VLS 26" barrel with 45 gr of varget in win cases 210M
got 2655@ 10'. So far the pressure signs are down and the load was what I was looking for
in a sub group.
And all guns are different at least the ones that I have shot a little tweeting is needed...
Luck on your quest......

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.