Stag Hunting - weighing my options

69firebird

My wife and I would like to go stag hunting. We have looked and New Zealand, Argentina, and Europe. We have hunted across Canada, USA, and South Africa.

New Zealand is so far the cost of travel to go hunting for 4 days rules it out. Most of its high fenced, managed herds, I've seen some free range but I don't want the bait and switch.

Argentina is more viable for travel costs but with the visas, gun papers, and talk about getting trophies home it's doable but abit of a turnoff. When I talk to some outfitters it could be my prejudice but I get a 'greasy' feeling. I feel about 50% is high fences managed herds.

Europe is another option and honestly I haven't finished my research there. I believe there is some true free range hunting options.

So that leaves option # 4- Canada, 8 hours from home. The place is a high fenced farm. Significantly smaller then the farms in Argentina or New Zealand but then again a game farm is a game farm.... it's tough mountains, not pasture.

Pros:
- 8 hour drive
- with proximity I can get last minute deals and cancellations
- I take my enclosed trailer and haul all the meat home, along with my trophies!! BONUS!!
- cost is the same as Argentina, with the advantage of the last minute deals We could shoot larger stag.
-my young son and parents can come for a luxury vacation for minimal cost, a whole family affair!
- no gun papers, visa, exchanging money, or trusting someone on another continent
-no airfare or big travel costs, also means I can put those savings toward larger stag or taxidermy

Cons:
-smaller farm than other options (but still a GAmE FaRM)
-we don't get to hunt and visit another part of the world.

And just some other thoughts:
- i won't be trying to pass the stag of as free range and not going to enter any record books.
- it's more of a shopping trip than a true free range, anything could happen, adventure. Which is more my style.

So IMO the farm in Canada is no different than a farm anywhere else in the world. It's a farm raised fence stag. The Pros heavily outway the cons for me. And with the proximity and the fact that I'm taking all the meat and trophies home with me that's huge in my books.

I should mention that I do have a budget and that is also a factor but all these options are in my budget. Unfortunately airfare takes a huge chunk out of it.

Anyways just looking for some opinions. And I don't want to hear "I'd never go to a game farm, that's not hunting" cause your wasting my time.

I talked to a TV host that shot a show on the farm here in Canada and he has hunted stag in New Zealand and has quit a few shows on South Aftrica. It wasn't him hunting that episode in Canada and I asked him why. And he said it was too small. I almost opened my mouth and said something about you hunt in all the other game farms!! But didn't. And I guess he draws the line on high fences by how big the area is lol. I thought he was being a little hipocritical.

Last edited:
If you want a true trophy, New Zealand or Argentina are the place to go.

If you are looking for a good hunt, There are plenty of other places to go but the size of the antlers will not be as good/big. (But the meat will taste just as good) and depending on the area, the hunt will also be good. I booked a hunt in New Zealand (Free range) for a gold+ and the cost of travel ruled it out (Travel was more than a 7 day hunt) so I feel your pain.

Hunt and enjoy

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
J E can you explain. The place here at home has 300 to 450+ stag. My price range is in the 350" area. I won't be shooting any 500s anywhere cause I couldn't afford it.

In fact If I was to fly to another continent I would have to price a smaller stag cause I'm using up trophy fees on airline costs. Also costs in pack and shipping

Last edited:
A 350 class is considered a SCI Silver Class and that Is a nice one.

A bronze class is 280" to 330".
Silver class Is 331" to 370".
A gold SCI class is 370" to 410"
A world class is 600" and the current world record is 765 6/8" unless it has changed.

A 350 " red stag is a trophy in my opinion But many ranches say they have the 400+ stag's normally cant produce them Not to say they don't have them but the price for a gold + class are normally out of reach for most of us.

It would be a once of a lifetime hunt so get the biggest one you can afford. If you can wash dishes at the lodge to get a bigger one, do it.

Good luck and good hunting

J E CUSTOM

....If you can wash dishes at the lodge to get a bigger one, do it....Good luck and good hunting...J E CUSTOM

I have no issues with high fence, but property size does matter to me. It can be more corral than pasture!

Go have fun with the family, enjoy yourself.

Have you considered the UK? There are plenty of outfitters, and pretty much all of what they offer is wild deer. Decent prices can be found if you shop around.

Have you considered the UK? There are plenty of outfitters, and pretty much all of what they offer is wild deer. Decent prices can be found if you shop around.

I did see some estates in the UK. Like I said I haven't done a lot of research for Europe. I figured they would be small acreage as well and with the price of the Euro/pound....

As for size here in Canada yes it is around 1500 acres. It's all wooded with some open food plots with box towers, otherwise spot and stalk.

I figure I do most of my whitetail hunting at home on 600 acres, with food plot, salt, tree stands and box blinds. And yes the deer have no fence but for the most part it's their core range and they don't leave year round.

I have no issues with high fence, but property size does matter to me. It can be more corral than pasture!

What's your cut of for minimum size? Just curious. I'm not being melicious. I to don't want to walk out if the lodge and pick from the line up lol so to speak.

I do need a challenge. One thing I didn't like about SA was that you shot your animal, took a few pictures and then moved on. I then didn't see it until It was a hide and skull or steaks on my plate. Very strange for me!

....What's your cut of for minimum size? Just curious. I'm not being melicious. I to don't want to walk out if the lodge and pick from the line up lol so to speak.....

It would be different depending on species, terrain, and the purpose of the "hunt". I look into bison every now and then, they range form literally a small corral, to thousands of acres.

It would be different depending on species, terrain, and the purpose of the "hunt". I look into bison every now and then, they range form literally a small corral, to thousands of acres.

Ya i gotcha. I guess in short if I went to Argentina, NZ, or Europe it would be for more of a "hunt", but if i go here at home I've got the meat and antlers coming home with me, so less "hunt" but the meat is a huge bonus for me. Saves a few deer on the farm lol

A 350 class is considered a SCI Silver Class and that Is a nice one.

A bronze class is 280" to 330".
Silver class Is 331" to 370".
A gold SCI class is 370" to 410"
A world class is 600" and the current world record is 765 6/8" unless it has changed.

A 350 " red stag is a trophy in my opinion But many ranches say they have the 400+ stag's normally cant produce them Not to say they don't have them but the price for a gold + class are normally out of reach for most of us.

It would be a once of a lifetime hunt so get the biggest one you can afford. If you can wash dishes at the lodge to get a bigger one, do it.

Good luck and good hunting

J E CUSTOM
You have to understand those are not free range sizes, but 'estate' sizes. A 300"SCI Free range Stag is MASSIVE, and most areas will not produce those heads. 250-270 SCI is a very good free range head in most areas. SCI medal category change over time as they are averaged out over the book. What was 'Gold' 10 years ago is now a Bronze/Silver.
FYI a 'gold medal' SCI free range stag is over 286", which is very big!

If you just wanna shoot a stag, go for the Canadian pen job. I personally go on hunts for the experience and challenge of a new area/species. Argentina or NZ would offer you the best adventure I would say and some affordable real free range hunts out there.
Europe has some good stags, mostly free range, but the style is more high seat, driven or stalking in smaller less mountains areas than Argentina and NZ. Europe can also get quite $$$ as trophies fees on size or KG are quite normal and can escalate quickly.

Ask your self what do you want from your hunt???
Do you want to go Red Stag hunting?

Or do you just want to shoot a stag???

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.