SST vs ELDX

jakebrake

300 Win mag which is the better round? I hear wat the reps are saying but I want too hear from the guys who hunt with them and not sell them.

Try Bergers... Once you go Berger, you'll never go back.

I shot Hornady, Barnes, Sierra, Nosler, etc... for years. Once I tried Bergers, I was sold.

I still shoot Nosler Custom Competition bullets in a couple of my target rifles because they're cheap and perform as advertised. But mostly I shoot Bergers in everything.

Try Bergers... Once you go Berger, you'll never go back.

I shot Hornady, Barnes, Sierra, Nosler, etc... for years. Once I tried Bergers, I was sold.

I still shoot Nosler Custom Competition bullets in a couple of my target rifles because they're cheap and perform as advertised. But mostly I shoot Bergers in everything.

Im going out on a limb here and saying you probably haven't tried the eld-x......

Op, We have taken deer with the sst and that is a awesome bullet. We switched to the 143 eld x bullets in our 6.5s to see how they do. I personally would opt for the eld-x if BC is a concern if not the sst will do fine. The A-max has also served me very well.

Im going out on a limb here and saying you probably haven't tried the eld-x......

Op, We have taken deer with the sst and that is a awesome bullet. We switched to the 143 eld x bullets in our 6.5s to see how they do. I personally would opt for the eld-x if BC is a concern if not the sst will do fine. The A-max has also served me very well.

Nope, no desire to. But I have probably shot a thousand SST's...Not a fan for anything larger than a coyote. Just based on my experiences.

Last edited:
What is the ranges you will most likely be hunting at? I have killed deer with the 140gr SST in my .270 Win from 15 yards to 728 yards. Works great but doesn't expand a whole lot at 728 yards from my experience. If your farthest shots will be 400-500 yards the SST is perfect. If you will be shooting beyond 300-400 yards all the time then give the ELD-X a try. To be honest, I have shot the 200 gr ELD-X bullets in my .300 Win Mag and couldn't get them to shoot. From my experience the SST is not picky in my .270, my Uncle's .30-06, or my cousin's .243 Winchester.

I used to shoot the SST out of my 7 Mag; but found them to be to explosive up close. Out of my 25-06AI they were very good at dropping deer dead in their tracks. No experience with the ELD-X. I have wondered if they might be explosive up close as well.

I used to shoot the SST out of my 7 Mag; but found them to be to explosive up close. Out of my 25-06AI they were very good at dropping deer dead in their tracks. No experience with the ELD-X. I have wondered if they might be explosive up close as well.

Exact same thing that happened to me, which is why I stopped using them.

I've never had an SST fail on me. And I have shot deer at nearly point blank through the shoulders and everytime I get an exit and the deer either dies right on the spot or runs 10-15 yards. I'm not shooting a wimp load either, I am pushing the 140 at 3080fps from my .270 and this load never fails me.

Shot a yearling at about 25 yards with a 130gr out of a 270 and it did the job. I did find the cup of the jacket in the offside shoulder but the rest went through. My dad shot two with the same load and also had good results. He switched to the 140 Sierra Gameking and that thing destroys deer. I've never seen that large of an exit.

I've never had an SST fail on me. And I have shot deer at nearly point blank through the shoulders and everytime I get an exit and the deer either dies right on the spot or runs 10-15 yards. I'm not shooting a wimp load either, I am pushing the 140 at 3080fps from my .270 and this load never fails me.

Same thing with my dad....... he has a very stout load with his 6.5 CM with a 129 sst at 3005 fps and a 22in barrel. Blows right through and talk about devastating!

ELD-X over SST no question.

If you go with Berger VLD's you may want to trim the meplats, this will help them open up and disrupt / fragment. I had 3 Berger 338 EH pencil through an Elk at 850 yards with no expansion at all. Luckily #4 hit bone and fragmented and did its job. Opening the tip does the trick.

FWIW I have not yet tried the LRAB's on animals yet but they really do shoot well. Two rifles and they are both sub half moa and closer to quarter moa.

The sst has accounted for several fer at close range out of my 257 weatherby. No problems at all. I shoot Speer btsp because of the higher bc. Not performance on game.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.