SST vs ELDX

My understanding may be flawed, but it looks to me like the biggest design difference is the overall shape of the bullet, with the ELD-X basically being an SST with a much higher BC. If I remember rightly, both use the interlock ring to keep the jacket and core together, but I might be wrong.

My understanding may be flawed, but it looks to me like the biggest design difference is the overall shape of the bullet, with the ELD-X basically being an SST with a much higher BC. If I remember rightly, both use the interlock ring to keep the jacket and core together, but I might be wrong.

I agree. Interlock is an old design but a very good but soft bullet, SST is an updated interlock with a harder jacket and a plastic tip. Both Interlock and SST use a swaged cannelure to slow expansion. The ELD-X is the most up to date interlock. I have done a load work up with the 143 in a 6.5CM and it is a very easy bullet to load for. Having used both the interlock and the SST in the past I have no doubt the ELD-X will perform well on game

I agree. Interlock is an old design but a very good but soft bullet, SST is an updated interlock with a harder jacket and a plastic tip. Both Interlock and SST use a swaged cannelure to slow expansion. The ELD-X is the most up to date interlock. I have done a load work up with the 143 in a 6.5CM and it is a very easy bullet to load for. Having used both the interlock and the SST in the past I have no doubt the ELD-X will perform well on game

Just out of curiosity, what powder and seating depth are you using with the 143? I tried hard to get RL-17 to work but i couldn't so I went to H4350 and ended up with .3 moa at 42 grains with my seating depth .005 off the lands

Last fall I had SST blow up against shoulder bone of whitetail with no cavity penetration. I have to admit in 55 years of hunting I've never hit a deer in that exact spot. Won't use SST anymore on game. Problem is both my 300's love the 200gr ELD-X with 1/2 MOA groups. Do we have any real ELD-X field test results on elk or similar large game versus just ballistic gel?

Devoted hog hunter.
Ran ELD-X (6.5) for 7 months. Dropped every hog, if I did my job. I've shot multiple doubles with the ELD-X.
Have been running SST's since end of March. Dropped every hog, if I did my job. I've yet to double with the SST's.

My experience is the ELD-X is a much stronger bullet but almost to a detriment. My reason to switch is I've shot a deer, multiple coyotes, bobcats, beaver, and raccoons and they ELD-X has a tendency to blow through soft/thin skinned animals more like a FMJ. But for hogs the ELD-X is phenomenal.

My reason for switching to SST was because of the over penetration on the thin skinned animals. If I was a deer hunting I would favor the SST. If I were hog or elk or larger animals I would use the ELD-X!

I killed a deer last fall at 100 yards or so with the 212 eldx and the damage was devastating. The deer fell where it stood. I have had good luck with this bullet as far as accuracy goes. Just hunted with it the one time though.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts