SST bullets

The SST's went through some changes since the first came out,just like the Nosler Ballistic Tips did over the years.I'm not sure when,but the jackets were beefed up a little to make them less explosive.The problem is,externally they look the same and unless you know for sure you have the newer ones,you could easily still be shooting the older explosive versions.I personally never shot anything but paper with the older ones after hearing how explosive they were.I was guiding a kid a few years ago on a whitetail hunt,he was shooting a 7-08 with 139gr SST's.He killed two deer.Both deer ran about 75yds before they died.The bullets left very tight wound channels through the deer.Both bullets exited.The bullets performed much like a tough bonded bullet and didn't leave hardly any blood trail at all.

I know of two eland and two Kudu that were taken one shot each, DRT with the 162 SST with a MV at 3150 ranges to 350 yards. I have never liked the idea of shooting through elk shoulders, my shots were quartering broadside, to and fro. I took cows with 243 and 100g Partitions, close range.

With the history of the 7mm 180g ELDM blowing up, I would have to question their value over 2800 fps, but they have worked fine for me at 2700 fps out of a long barrel 280, 8.75" twist.

The SST's went through some changes since the first came out,just like the Nosler Ballistic Tips did over the years.I'm not sure when,but the jackets were beefed up a little to make them less explosive.The problem is,externally they look the same and unless you know for sure you have the newer ones,you could easily still be shooting the older explosive versions.I personally never shot anything but paper with the older ones after hearing how explosive they were.I was guiding a kid a few years ago on a whitetail hunt,he was shooting a 7-08 with 139gr SST's.He killed two deer.Both deer ran about 75yds before they died.The bullets left very tight wound channels through the deer.Both bullets exited.The bullets performed much like a tough bonded bullet and didn't leave hardly any blood trail at all.
I actually still have some of the 1st Ballistic tips to hit the market. I bought them to try in a rifle I couldn't find a decent load for. They were quite explosive at 3060fps so I backed down to 52 grains of IMR 4350 at 2800 or so and they behaved really well. Today I'm going through them doing low recoil youth loads to finish the box.

I still shoot those first ballistic tips, 140g out of 9 Twists in 7 Mag at 3200 fps, killed two bull elk with them, center of body hits on each, and a flock of deer. None of my shots have been under 100 yards and none are on shoulders.

I still shoot those first ballistic tips, 140g out of 9 Twists in 7 Mag at 3200 fps, killed two bull elk with them, center of body hits on each, and a flock of deer. None of my shots have been under 100 yards and none are on shoulders.
Those first generation 120gr and 140gr did much better than the 150gr bullets did.

SST's are thin-jacketed 'cup and core' bullets, this style tends to fragment at high velocities or if they hit bone. The SST is an inexpensive choice for Deer or other thin-skinned game, but there are better choices for Elk. There are competing schools of thought about bullet construction vs energy transfer. A few years ago I tried the ELDX when they were all the rage (another thin jacketed, cup and core bullet), shot a deer at around 200 yds with a 270 and it looked like I stuck a grenade inside of it. The bullet completely fragmented with little penetration. Prior to that, both my wife and I used the SST on a few Deer with slightly better, but similar results, the bullets didn't penetrate very far before they came apart. I have since stopped using Hornady bullets for hunting.
I'm sure many Elk have been killed with them, but I would pick a tougher bullet that offers better penetration.