SST bullets

How are these bullets? Do they hold up good? Thinking of trying for elk this fall

i think that could be a disaster depending on caliber. Shot them out of 270 WSM…blew up. Shot them out of 6.5x55….blew up. With perfect behind the rib shots, they would work fine.

im expecting out of my 30 Herrett, they will be fine….@2270fps.

Secret to the SST should not be surprising, go heavy bullet weight per caliber. In my 7 Rem mag, the 154g SST at 3150 is simply awesome, lots of sectional density.

Exactly, as mentioned before and many times in other threads.

The 139gr SST and the 7mm-08 are a match made in heaven. No blow up, I am pushing them at just under 2,800 fps. My biggest AZ Desert mulie was taken with this combo, shot at 95 yds. Entered behind the shoulder, broke offside shoulder and exited, literally dropped on the spot right after impact.

We have used the 162gr SST in the 280 Rem, 7SAUM and 7mm Rem Mag, no bullet blow up, even when shoulders have been hit. Usually gotten exit holes with vitals turned to mush.

They work great in my Dad's 308. When I ran out and could not get them I switched him to the AB, but when he shot them he had good accuracy and terminal performance. Most bullet failures, are not the fault of the bullet but of the shooter and shot placement.

They are essentially the standard hornady interlock spire point with a slightly different geometry and a polymer tip. Not the greatest bc, but a decent mid range bullet. In other words, if you don't intend to run them too fast, they work fine. Impact speeds above 3000ish are pretty violent in my experience. Also, if significant heavy bone is hit, like spine or an elk shoulder joint, they tend to come apart, as most standard non-bonded cup and core bullets do. They have still done the job for me in those occasions, just messy.

Keep impact speeds above 1800ish and below 2800, and off heavy bone, and you will likely be happy. They aren't anything fancy, just think of them like a standard spire point bullet with a colorful tip that you can't write with to fill out your tag.
LOL. Cody, I remember those days when you could use your ammo to fill out your tag.

Heavy for caliber SST bullets for elk work great. I used to load the 162gr SST for my dad in his 7 SAUM and he took a few bulls with it. Go through the shoulder no problem, they hold together pretty well.

I use the 139gr in my 7mm-08 and it works great, but I would not load it on a 7SAUM or 7mm Rem Mag, too light, too fast and end up in bullet blow up at close range, but the 162gr is a great bullet for 7mm magnum cartridges. On 30 cal I would use the 180gr for magnum velocities.
That's what I found with my 7RM loads. They shot great on paper but between me, my daughter, and son-in-law we lost several deer in a two year period. Only thing we could come up with was the bullet was running too fast and would come apart on impact, we were not able to find any of those deer to find out what was actually happening. I pulled all of those rounds out of hunting use and went back to the Noslers. Really disappointed since they shot so good on paper