270 Win for Elk using 130 SST/130 Accubond/130NP

When I ived in Az, 270 with 150g Rem Core Locts was the most popular 270 bullet that took a lot of big bulls for decades.

130g Barnes tipped triple shocks behind H4831, Mag Pro, R#22,23,26 would all be good elk medicine.

150-160g partitions would be tops on my personal list, the 160g partition is very accurate in my rifles.

I killed my cow elk with a 243 Winchester with a 100g Partitions, and they flopped. We rode mules and shots were not over 150 yards.

Learn your elk anatomy, place your shot, or don't pull the trigger.

For folks with Shoulder issues like me, two things:

A. limb saver Air Tec recoil pads are like no other

B. Gentry muzzle break where the ports are angled slightly forward and throws a lot of the concussion FORWARD! I can not stress enough how well the Gentry brake is in how it throws the sound forward. All side discharge brakes are louder than Radial port brakes. A 300 Winchester becomes a 25/06 with the Gentry brake, keep the bullet weight around 180g. I doubt if a 150g Barnes TTSX will ever be found in an elk unless it is a frontal or rear quartering shot where the bullet breaks a shoulder or hip and is found on the far end of the animal.

It is advisable to wear some kind of hearing protection, and I use the Walker Game ears that actually allow me to hear better than normal, there are other brands that accomplish the same thing...depending on your budget.

Chuck, those Long Range Accubonds are designed to expand down to 1200 fps, and this is a Tall Order for sure.
The front half of the long range accubonds is usually lost, just like the partitions, while the back half keeps on pushing through. So, on close shots, you get a rapid expansion, and the animal is laying in it's tracks. On the mono's, long-range expansion is very limited and animals I have shot at 450 yards have ran like a scaled cat!

So, in my 6.5(129g) and 7mm(175g) Nosler long-range Accu bond bullets, I shoot further back from the shoulder than I normally would, right where the diaphragm is. I have complete trust in the LRAB killing from all angles, coming and going, without the animal running hundreds of yards.

The Regular Accubonds are good, but on a long range shot, they may pencil through. I lost a darn good deer with a 25/06, 110g Accubond with a very hot accurate load on a 300 yards shot, never found the deer. 6.5x20 leupold(with Gentry Brake) showed that I hit the deer in the lungs and heart. Deer are usually recovered with this shot, but this 200lb buck was never found. I upgraded to a Pac Nor built 257 Weatherby with 26" with .030 freebore with 110g Accbonds at 3580 and that running stuff was put to an end.

Bullets can surely act weird. I like a bullet that really puts a lot of shock on an animal with the core still penetrating to exit, which more often than not, puts the animal on the ground immediately. I think that the Nosler LRAB perform the rapid expansion with penetration more than any other bullet I have used. I sort these bullets by ogive length, and accuracy is exceptional.

Last edited:
For regular range on elk, of the OPs choices I'd shoot the Partition, SSTs are just to prone to blowing up on the surface and Accubonds just don't get it in the wound channel part. For lighter recoil you can go down to a 110 TTSX or a light Hammer and it is noticably lighter recoil.

110gr accubonds is all i use in my 6.8 over the last 3-4 years. so my vote is for the accubond.

i have some of the 165gr ABLR for my 270 just haven't worked anything up for it yet lol

if you really wanna send something to light speed, the 90gr GoldDot is another good one.

I shall be using 130/NP and have a 1/2-3/4 inch group at 100 Yards so that is what i will be using 😁
Put it in the vitals and you will have a, dead elk
In 40+.yrs of hunting Ive killed elk with everything from 243 to 340 wby mag have never Lost an animal never had to shoot a second round never eaten tag soup. and the FARTHEST ive ever had to track one is, 40 yrds
And a few of those elk the bullet was only carrying around 1300-1345 ft lbs upon impact
SO im also not sold on the miinimum1500 ft lbs for elk mantra

Last edited:
Using my Dads favorite phrase...Hogwash! I've killed a mature mule deer buck at one pace shy of 700 yds with a 25-06 and 115 Berger. Took me 3 shots to get my wind dope right but he dropped with the high shoulder connection. I know a 270 win could do the same to an elk at 400+. I myself have taken one bull and one cow at 460 and 515 with a 150 grain Partition. My grandpa took a big 6x6 bull at 606 yds with that very same combination. Afterall he handed his Sako L61 to me so I used his pet handloads. I don't know if 3 for 3 is reliability but it's definitely a trend. Best part is we used his Leupold M8 6X scope on all three animals. No dialing just familiarity with the rifle and plenty of practice at the range.

Recent Posts