Squared and Trued 700 VS Blueprinted

Can you post a copy of one or a link to one?

I bet big bucks the drawing(s) MagnumManiac refers to is one of many simple drawings that have been produced by the aftermarket. I really really really doubt that MagnumManiac actually has seen the real deal from Remington. Nonetheless, if he does, I want a copy too and I'll be more than thrilled to eat crow to get it!

So who makes the straightest/truest mass produced action?

I suspect very few here have the equipment, tools and knowledge to answer that. I certainly don't! Most will tell you how great their action is, because it performs so well... Or, will attempt to justify their choice based on some advertised or publicized claim.

I have one Defiance Deviant Tactical action that wears a Obermeyer barrel, and man does that rifle shoot but, I have no way to qualify or quantify its mechanical precision. Wish I did.

Still, I am very interested to hear responses to the question.

I do have the equipment and the knowledge to do this but I don't have the actions (anymore). :( If everyone wants to chip in and buy one of each (3 would be a more meaningful sample), I'll gladly (gleefully might be a better word) measure them and produce a chart of the results.......:rolleyes:

On a serious note, out of the many Rem 700s I've worked on, I have seen about 5 that required no work at all. Of those, about half were dimensional concentric on the outside surface too. So even if folks did send me the actions, we still have those pesky details called statistics (and tolerances) to contend with.

I can also say that ALL of the custom actions I have worked on required no work. That includes Stiller, Pierce, Borden, and Defiance. My favorites were the Pierce and Defiance, but I can't say how they fare statistically. I would never be afraid to recommend either one to my best friend.

So, at the risk of starting a war...... I must admit that I still favour the factory Rem 700 action over all other choices. Yes, you can get better shooting rifles out of the box from other volume makers, yes you can get a "no work required" custom 700 clone, but ... In my eyes, the 700 is a diamond in the rough. They may not be perfect out of the box, but with work, they can ALWAYS be made to shoot lights out. Sometimes it's just a little work, sometimes it's a lot of work, but it's ALWAYS possible.

I cannot say the same thing for other high volume makers.

Another point that needs to made or asked here is "why are most of the custom actions basically 700 clones"?

Last but not least, I cannot speak for other smith's, but there has to be a reason why so many of us like doing 700s. I'd be willing to bet its because we love happy clients! Nothing beats success. :)

I don't know the answer to that question but I know what my favorite is.

It is made from Chromoly, it has an integral rail and recoil lug, the bolt handle is an integral part of the bolt, the clearance between the bolt and receiver, at the front and rear of the bolt, is about .0025"-.003", the bolt is cut .005" smaller between those two points, it has an integral anti bind rail, it also has the option of a Remington style extractor on a .473 bolt face.

I don't know the answer to that question but I know what my favorite is.

It is made from Chromoly, it has an integral rail and recoil lug, the bolt handle is an integral part of the bolt, the clearance between the bolt and receiver, at the front and rear of the bolt, is about .0025"-.003", the bolt is cut .005" smaller between those two points, it has an integral anti bind rail, it also has the option of a Remington style extractor on a .473 bolt face.

Ok Edd, I give! Who makes it, Surgeon?

call it whatever you want. i dont care. my smith "blueprints" my actions for me for $200. i call it that, because that's what he calls it. he is truing the action to the center line of the bolt raceway. since he did it, my 700P shoots ragged holes at 100 yards with the factory barrel. it'll shoot even better with a match barrel when i get around to replacing it. better than i could ever shoot.

i shoot my guns, i dont sit around worrying about what people are calling stuff they have done to them.

I was referring to factory actions such as Winchester, Browning, Howa, etc... Do any of the big names make an action worth building on that won't require huge investments in machining?

Of all the Actions that I have Blue printed, with out any doubt the Weatherby Mark 5 has been the most consistently precision machined of any production action. I don't remember ever finding "ANY" action that could not use some truing. so I would say that there is no one action that is best, just some are better than others and different from one to the other of the same brand.

I check every action ,factory or custom and have never found one that couldn't use a little work to be as close as it could be.

So buy the action you like best and have it checked by a good smith.

J E CUSTOM

I was referring to factory actions such as Winchester, Browning, Howa, etc... Do any of the big names make an action worth building on that won't require huge investments in machining?

That depends on what you find "acceptable" and how skilled you are at tuning your own actions. I've built quite a few Remington 700s that shoot 3/4 to 1/2 MOA with little more than lapping the bolt lugs, hand lapping the recoil lug to both the receiver face and barrel shoulder, then setting the headspace by VERY CAREFULLY AND SLOWLY reaming the chamber by hand with a finishing reamer to the correct headspace.

Using the above method, I have built on Remington 700s, 78 Sportsmans and 600s, as well as several Howa 1500s and a few Winchester 70 push-feeds.

I will tell you that, IT IS EASY TO OVERSHOOT THE HEADSPACE, even by hand! When your bolt handle starts to drop on the go gauge you have to start LIGHTLY turning the reamer NO MORE THAN two turns at a time, then stop, thoroughly clean the barrel, chamber and bolt face, and check the headspace again. Repeat this until the bolt almost completely closes on the go gauge, then only go one turn at a time, clean and check headspace again, until your go gauge "goes" and your no-go gauge doesn't.

This method certainly isn't for everyone, and sure as heck isn't a "blueprinted" job but, it has worked well for me on my hunting rifles, for the last 40 years...

Yes, redneck gunsmithing to say the least but, you'd be surprised what you can do, if you pay attention to detail, are patient and are willing to invest the time and effort! "Redneck gunsmithing" doesn't necessarily mean "bubba gunsmithing"...

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you are way ahead of the game compared to most.....

But be forewarned that getting a pro to fix your mistakes might not be as easy as it sounds. It all depends on what your mistakes are.
I will have a gunsmith or manufacture install the barrel and true the action. I want a walnut stock and plan to perchase a semi- inlet and finish from there. I have some basic knowledge of the process of beading and installing pillars, but wint attempt the important stuff. This way the stock should be the weakest link and I can always burn it it the fireplace to hide the evidence of my failure......then order a McMillan

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.