Stock bolt, blueprinted, or PTG?

Black Squirrel

I have a new Remington action and bolt that I am building. The action will be trued up with Manson's accurizing kit (already have access to it, so that's the route I am going). I am debating if I should just lap the lugs (probably spend the $55 on the lapping tool), or spend the $180 on Manson's bolt face squaring tool as well. The other option, for about $100 more than the Manson's tools, is just to get a stock size PTG bolt (with a long wait).

Any advise is appreciated. Thanks

If you decide to order a bolt from PT&G, it should be custom sized for your action. No sense in ordering a bolt just to get the 'stock' size. With the way triggers function on a 700, they push the rear of the bolt upwards until stopped by the rear receiver bridge. This leaves the upper locking lug out of contact with the lug abuttment in the receiver. A custom sized bolt, that "fills the raceway in the receiver", helps eliminate this condition. It cannot be eliminated completely as some clearance is needed to be able to cycle the bolt. "Truing" the factory bolt or replacing it with one of 'stock size' does little except maybe make you feel good, give you some bragging rights, and remove $$$ from your wallet.

Good to know.

My stock bolt measures .6970, +/- .0005

The rear raceway measures .7035 and the front just under .7025 (the .7025 pin would go if i forced it a bit).

I have no real way to measure them for straightness to each other.

The stock size PTG is .6995, which would take the clearance from .0065 and .0055 to .0040 and .0030.

I would be worried about going any tighter than that without reaming the raceway.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.