Speed kills

I shoot it, I retrieve it (often by myself) and process it myself. If 400 yards is to far to retrieve an animal I can't imagine you guys get much actual hunting in....

I think their point is that their age and physical limitations dictate how far the can go to retrieve their bounty. No doubt they have put in a lot of actual hunting time in over the years.

Unfortunately, some of us aren't young and strong. It's a sad reality but rest assure, all young bucks will follow in our footsteps. Sooner than they think too.

Sidecar flip pretty clearly implied that he thought most lr shooters were of means $$ but it's not really important I guess. As far as retrieving animals my dad and I have an agreement if he shoots it I'll get it, wherever it is lol. I have 4 boys so hopefully I'll get the same deal. I'll think I'll check out of this thread at this time though and leave you guys to it. I don't agree with the entirety of the post in how it relates to longrange hunting but it appears there more people than I thought that agree that this is how "real shooting" is done so I won't interrupt the party anymore.

Sidecar flip pretty clearly implied that he thought most lr shooters were of means $$ but it's not really important I guess. As far as retrieving animals my dad and I have an agreement if he shoots it I'll get it, wherever it is lol. I have 4 boys so hopefully I'll get the same deal. I'll think I'll check out of this thread at this time though and leave you guys to it. I don't agree with the entirety of the post in how it relates to longrange hunting but it appears there more people than I thought that agree that this is how "real shooting" is done so I won't interrupt the party anymore.

See ya on 24 hr campfire.

simple physics?? Not sure what you are getting at there. Id rather be shooting a 210gr .30cal berger at 2800fps than a 115gr at 3400fps... at any range.

We must have been doing it wrong this hole time.
Don't know why anybody would want a 215 Berger going 3000 fps at the muzzle. More energy and less drift at LONG RANGE. I think the op has the lighter faster flatter mentality that alot of my buddies had. But they would never take a shot past 350-400 yards, if 400-500 yards are the ranges then yes a 150 gr bullet going 3200 fps would be the best choice. There's a reason the Military doesn't use 150 gr. bullets in .308 and why they use 190's in the Win Mag.

308 is a good round for paper, but not for hunting, and speed is what does all the killing? The meat in my freezer didnt get that memo.
I agree.

I've dropped quite a many deer over the years with a .22-250, 7mm-08 Rem, .308 Win, .30-30 Win, and many other "slow" and "not good for hunting" rounds...

I guess none of those deer got that memo either. :cool:

pyroducksx3, sorry to see you had to leave, you had some of the few and only good responces, I too shoot, pack and process everything my 12 year old son or I get, including his 1800lbs buffalo he drew a tag for up here in Montana last year. Althougt tough, a lot of times my hunting partner and i take pride in never having to have paid anyone to help pack out anything, its called a pack frame! I'm almost 50 and my body is starting to feel it, but I wouldn't give it up for anything!

MudRunner2005. +1 on the calibers that can be used, I've shot a lot of animals with smaller calibers, just place the bullet in the right spot!

MudRunner2005. +1 on the calibers that can be used, I've shot a lot of animals with smaller calibers, just place the bullet in the right spot!

IMO, bullet placement is more important than bullet diameter, or cartridge, when used within the cartridge's reasonable limitations. But we all have our favorite calibers, and for that I can't fault anyone.

Not to demean guys like Len or other LR shooters but, we all know that those guys most likely shoot and (hopefully humanely kill) their animal but someone else retrieves it, processes it and thats how it works in the real world.

When I go hunting now, I make sure the arrangement (with the outfitter) is... They handle the ancillary duties, I do the shooting. I pay for that and I can afford that.

The exception to that is my property and whitetail hunting and there I handle the animal.

I'm still at 400 yards though......:D

Sorry my friend but I do it all by myself except for elk; it becomes a team work with my hunting buddies. In 2013, by the time I secured my elk, I've logged over 100 foot miles.

Most of the deer and antelope I harvest are donated to the mission, community food bank, or some needy airmen.

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.