speed guess

No worries. I didn't want anyone to misunderstand my poslightbulbt and I realized that it could have been interpreted incorrectly which was the last thing anyone working with these pressures needs.

No hard feelings and a true appreciation for making me think about what I said more clearly.
Clarification on these subjects is always of great value.

Many years ago when I was young and foolish and doing lots of reloading I ended up with about 300 .220 swift loads for my Ruger Number One that I no longer had a number one to shoot them in.

I'd however gotten a great buy on an older model 70 .224 that had been rechambered in .220 swift.

Now these loads were great in my number one, no pressure signs at all but apparently the M-70 had a much higher bore and as I learned much shorter throat.

The first few I shot through it flattened out primers and nearly erased the headstamp.

They were showing better than 4,300 fps (52gr sierra and either H-414 or H-380) which far exceeded anything I'd ever run through the number one.

I was laughing and having a good time right up until the point at which the bolt blew apart on the fifth round and only by the grace of God when the cross pin sheared off the cap and firing pin didn't go straight through my forehead.

In retrospect that load was about 10-15% OVER MAX!

I learned a lesson that day that I've never forgotten.

The thought of doing something similar with the kinds of loads and pressures possible in a .300 Rum makes me shudder.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.