Speed kills

pyroducksx3, sorry to see you had to leave, you had some of the few and only good responces, I too shoot, pack and process everything my 12 year old son or I get, including his 1800lbs buffalo he drew a tag for up here in Montana last year. Althougt tough, a lot of times my hunting partner and i take pride in never having to have paid anyone to help pack out anything, its called a pack frame! I'm almost 50 and my body is starting to feel it, but I wouldn't give it up for anything!

DITTO! I'm 53 and I know exactly what you mean.

IMO, bullet placement is more important than bullet diameter, or cartridge, when used within the cartridge's reasonable limitations. But we all have our favorite calibers, and for that I can't fault anyone.

This is exactly right! The 25-06 isn't considered an elk round, but the two that took dirt naps from mine didn't know that.
The nearly 200 whitetails I took as a kid on a ranch with a doe culling operation didn't know the 243 was 'too light' either. (Lord I miss those days in the field with my Dad)

I'm 56 and have a shoulder that's heading towards needing surgery, it can't handle some of the larger caliber stuff out there. I sold my 300 WM for just that reason. I replaced it with a 264 that I'm still working up loads for.

I have access to a 1500 yard range to practice on. Practice not only holds and dialing for impact but, also for winds. Still, I limit myself to no more than 600 yards on my longest shots simply due to lack of time to practice.

when I DO get to practice, I worry more on shot placement than pretty much anything else. It's the placement that puts the meat in the freezer. Whether the round is leaving the barrel at 3400 or 2400, where it hits is what makes the difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.