Speed Goat Speed Hunt

D.P.

Midnight on the 5th after work I was packing for Wyoming. Up four hour later and off the the airport, 11:30am I arrived in Wyoming. Ric Horst and Steve met me at the airport and less than an hour later I was at the hotel and changed. Off to the hunting area to meet Chris Matthews. Less than two hours later I was belly down in the dirt low crawling up along side Chris glassing a bedded doe on the next hill at 370 yards. A quick dial up and Ric and Chris got front row seats when her nose hit the dirt. When I got to her my first words were OH SH..! The .30 175 SMK exited with most of her belongings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Day one over.
Day two up at 5:30 and off to the area we were hunting bucks. At 9:30am we were glassing some goats when a nice one came out of no where. As Chris alerted us the goat kicked it in overdrive. Another voice (Steve/Ric?) yelled get your gun. I don't know much about goats but I figured it out quick! Seconds later I was on my belly again with Chris along side calling out yardage. As the goat approached 550 yards and a drop off it stopped and looked back, a few more clicks and the SMK was off and my hunt was over. The Goat went a touch over 15", and to make things better it was on video. Ric caught great trace and I hope the video did also. Ric, Chris,and Steve were awesome! as where the other hunters. It was a great time and anoter great buck was taken that day. I'll let the shooter tell that story. I cant wait to hear from the rest of the guys and see how things went after I left.
Oh yeah the airline lost my checked bag and my LSR 300WSM!!! after a day of searching they were loacated. My gun and luggage have been to the west coast and more states than I have. A delivery service just dropped them off ten minutes ago. Hope to have pics soon.

Congrats on the successful hunt! I will be using the same combo next week to try and take a pig with my 300 SAUM. Maybe I will have the same results as yourself.

Congrats

Man That must of been a blast! Hey Rimfire...Keep your eyes open for an email Want to see if your interested in something.

Cant wait to see the pics. I bet you had a heart attack with the luggage missing. Sounds like you had a great time

Joe

Way to go Rimfire. The stories are getting better and better and the season has just begun.

I can't believe that they (temporarily) lost your rifle. Did you have to change flights mid-way? I was very concerned about being separated from my rifles so I flew direct into Denver Intl. and drove a rental up into Wyoming.

Forget the pictures - post the video! Can't wait. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rimfire, sounds like you guys had a great time. It's awsome that some of the guys on this site can get time to go out and play togeather. Congrats on your goats.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.