Speed Drop…it works and it’s fast

Chase723

I'm going to post a link below which is helpful and will be more informative than what follows.

Any of you guys using this? Apparently, this has been a thing for a couple years but I only recently became aware of it, and now there's a function in the Kestrel 5700 Elite for it. I tried it out to 525 yards the other night and it was center impacts all the way out. Haven't had the chance to validate it beyond that but will shortly. Honestly, I'm thinking it's a game changer, especially for hunting.

It only works with mils but basically, it turns your FFP reticle into an accurate BDC that is accurate to within either 0.1-0.2 mils (you get to pick the tolerance) between 2 distances. For my 6.5 Creed shooting the 130gr Sierra Gamechanger at 2670 (I was experimenting with N540…very accurate but 100fps slower than RL16), the number was 1.8 and is supposed to be accurate within 0.2 mils between 199 and 664 yards…which computes out and I believe…especially since it worked as advertised out to 525. For my 7SS w/ 190gr Berger the distances are 430-1140 yards and my 338 SS w/ 200gr Badlands is 330-949 yards. Which is potentially incredible.

The way it works is first you divide your distance by 100. So for 500 its 5.0. You then determine the difference between your yardage and your DOPE in mils. So say your DOPE for 500 is 3.0 that number is the 5.0-3.0=2.0. If you don't have a Kestrel, you'll have to manually determine at what distances this is no longer true +/- 0.1/0.2 mils. Anyhow, the process is straightforward. You can watch the video from the link or Google how to get it to it within your Kestrel (very easy). Once you determine what the number is that works, that's your Speed Drop number.

At any rate, once you have it, you zero at 100 and then dial your turret BELOW your zero whatever your Speed Drop number is. Then, based upon the distances you or your Kestrel have determined, you literally range your target, hold the range value/100 (I.e. 525 yards is 5.2mils) in your reticle, and pull the trigger. For anything closer than your predetermined distance you hold you Speed Drop number. For something like my 7SS, I may have to adjust that practice a little because the BC is so high that the linear drop portion of the bullet path starts pretty far out there. For my 6.5 and 338 it's not necessary to change that practice at all and works perfectly.

So you cannot run a zero stop essentially? Or have to set your zero stop a couple mil low of zero. Kahles, minox, razor hd lht mk5hd will not allow you to do this. Nightforce and athlon will. Don't have a lot of experience with other manufacturers.

You can set your zero stop at your Speed Drop number below your zero. I shoot a ZCO for my long range stuff right now so what I'm going to do is zero at 100, determine my Speed Drop number, loosen my set screws, dial my turret to my Speed Drop number, tightens screws, and then dial back to zero. Now my zero stop is set at my Speed Drop number.

If you decide you want to dial your elevation, you just add your Speed Drop number to your DOPE and dial for that amount.

You can set your zero stop at your Speed Drop number below your zero. I shoot a ZCO for my long range stuff right now so what I'm going to do is zero at 100, determine my Speed Drop number, loosen my set screws, dial my turret to my Speed Drop number, tightens screws, and then dial back to zero. Now my zero stop is set at my Speed Drop number.

If you decide you want to dial your elevation, you just add your Speed Drop number to your DOPE and dial for that amount.
Most integrated zero stops will not allow you to dial much more than a half mill past 0 on the low side unfortunately. I shoot Kahles k624i , Minox zp5, Lpd Mk5hd, Atacr, of all these the Atacr is the only you dial past the zero stop. All these have the zero stop built into the turret cap. Once zero is set, you can get a half mil below. Atacr you cand do this trick.

Let me explain it a different way. It'll work for you. Say your Speed Drop number is 2.0. You zero at 100, loosen your set screws, move your turret to 2.0, tighten your set screws and then dial down to zero. You'll now be 2.0 mils below your 100 yard zero.

I just tried setting this up in the Kestrel with my 7 max pushing the Berger 195 EOL at 2950 fps and a 100 yard zero. It's giving me a speed drop number of 3.6 and range of 616 yds min and 1329 yds max. On my 300 win mag with a 178 hammer flying 3280 fps the min and max are 527 and 1058. Doesn't seem very useful, am I doing something wrong, or is this only effective with non-magnum calibers that don't shoot as flat?

I have a similar issue with my 7SS running the 190s. It was conceived to work when shooting at a full size IPSC which is why if you were to hold your Speed Drop number on the head or head neck junction out to 616 yards you'd still make an impact without making any compensation.

My plan to reign in the precision at closer distances is to look at where I will be within 0.3-0.4 mils (because at closer ranges the actual value in terms of inches is different) and do some quick math to determine at what shorter distance you can still apply it with effective terminal precision. I.e. still stick it in the boiler room without much thought.

I'll then shoot some DOPE to validate my thoughts but for example, at distances out to 200 yards, unless you are taking a head shot, if you hold center of the body with your Speed Drop number you will impact with ~2 inches (since holdover is usually 0.3-0.4mils) of your POA so no adjustment is really necessary. For my 7SS, then the distances between 200 and 400 will require something. Should be easy to figure out though because my typical DOPE for 200=0.3mils, 300=0.9mils, 400=1.6mils…I don't have my kestrel in hand but my Speed Drop # I think was 2.6. At 300 if I held 3.0mils I'd be within 0.4mil=4 inches. At 350 holding 3.5mils I'm within 0.3mils. At 400 holding 4.0 I'm now within 0.2mils. So it still pretty much works without doing anything. I can easily remember to hold an extra 0.1-0.2 mils from 200-350 yards…that's a lot better than remembering all of my DOPE or having to reference it out to 1140.