So Will the .270 Win Overtake the CM's and PRC's?

Hi I am an aussie and in my view the 6.5 creedmoor is nothing more than a 250 savage with high pressure loadings and a Well designed VLD projectile, all thing being equal. I cannot understand what all the hype is about. talk about ******** baffling brains.
Then we have all these short magnums , Well they cannot sell these rifles you can buy a WSM Mod 70 for near on half what they are selling a Mod 70 30/06 Classic. These rifles are good for nothing but a short action cartridge the action cannot be used for anything else except a WSM. The 30/06 , 308 and their derivates ie the 270 and the 280 Remington will be around long after buying ammo for these newbies is a back order proposition.
The 260 Remington is about as well designed cartridge as one could wish for and all the hype over these new fangled cartridges are nothing more that a sales pitch which seems to be working on a lot of fools. Sure the 6.5 creedmore may be a fine cartridge but the 260 Remington will do everything the creedmoor will do, when its all said and done its the nut behind the butt that delivers the goods.
Vaughn G

Well, before anyone gets thier knickers in a knot about your suggestion of a 'hostile take over', they need to google '277 fury' - 3,000fps mv from a 16'' barrel! SIG SAUR has the US Defence backing on this & no one else has successfully bonded a case (stainless steel/brass) to withstand the 80,000psi chamber pressures that SIG has mastered. Once the DoD runs with this we all know what will happen next. I recon we will see a dramatic surge in a wide range of bullet selection & availability very soon. I'm in Australia so can't get my hands on a 277 Fury for quite some time :( - BUT this is now No. 1 on my short list of next purchases.
That what I said (in one simple sentence)
I'm in the same boat. However I'm not waiting for the 277 to come to Canada. I'm buying the 5.6CM and once the 277 is legal in Canada, the CM is getting a new 277 barrel. Isn't that difficult as it's an AR style attached barreling.

I'm buying the 5.6CM and once the 277 is legal in Canada, the CM is getting a new 277 barrel. Isn't that difficult as it's an AR style attached barreling.

Are you buying it in the sig rifle? If not, it'll be interesting to see how a normal action/barrel stands up to that kind of pressure. From what I've read of the sig rifle, it's pretty beefy and overbuilt compared to something like a rem700 or RPR

Winchester brought out 3 of the GREATEST ctgs ever with the 22Hornet, 220SWIFT, 270WIN... Even after almost 100yrs nothing has been found better. Swift is still the FASTEST. Hornet is still the best short range varmint round there is. Then there's the 270. GREATEST big game ctg ever... Too bad the bean counters killed Winchester, as they are doing to Remington NOW.

FASTEST

Not to derail the thread,but...is nitride the best option for a barrel? Every barrel maker I've talked to about this says dont...

Of course they don't want to do it as it would cut their barrel sales by 70%. The US military nitrides every barrel. Blaser does every one (Cheap junk rifle eh ?). My gunsmith has 22-250 P. dog shooters with 6000 down the pipe still shooting bugholes. My 338 RUM has 500+ down it w/no wear. Also none of the BS breakin required as you can't wear it down. Once you try it you;ll be sold.

You don't get 3100 FPS from a 16" barrel ? Think about what a fast twist one will do from a 28" bbl. Adios to a lot of other rifles. I'm dumping my other stuff to pay for this build.
Like I said after researching twist rates. Velocity increasing decreases the need for fast twist. So as barrel length goes up twist rate goes down. I also like cheaper shooting of light 277 bullets. My research got me to 1:9 so I could shoot light stuff too.

If you are going to spend the money I encourage you to do a 270AI It makes for a more versatile rifle when it comes to super slow powders. Standard maybe up to 62 grains with a tall drop tube make for some very compressed loads. I pulled some ladder test bullets once with r-25 powder and it had smashed the powder so much that it would not come out of the cases when i pulled the bullets.

As to hunting. I've never had a mule deer stop a 140, 150, 169.5 or a 175 It is always a pass through. An elk stopped a 175 on the far side under the skin at 240 yards. Out of 270 win. I think thats where the AI would shine.

Last edited:
No I meant the 30-03. The first US 30 caliber rimless military cartridge. Had a longer neck the the 30-06 and used a 220 gr RN bullet. I collect 1903s for 50 years ---- trust me.

The .270 Winchester is a rifle cartridge developed by Winchester Repeating Arms Company in 1923 and unveiled in 1925 as a chambering for their bolt-action Model 54.[3] The cartridge is a necked-down .30-03 Government, and is the same length as the .280 Remington, both of which are longer than the .30-06 Springfield. The .270, .280, and .30-06 were all derived from the .30-03 parent case. The .270 Winchester uses a .270 inch (6.86 mm) bore diameter and a .277 inch (7.04 mm) bullet diameter.

The nice thing about .270WIN is that is has many of the characteristics anyone could look for and does so without any of the headaches typically associated with those same things.
1. You can get nearly any bolt gun you can find in a gun rack today off the shelf chambered in it.
2. It's a flat shooter so for hunting situations it has a generous max PBR
3. Ammo is as easy to find as the guns chambered in it, if a place sells ammo they've probably got a box in pinch
4. Relatively low recoil
5. Good barrel life

It would be great if bullet and barrel makers got together and agreed to each do their part but like others, I just don't see it happening. I do agree that it has potential. I say all this as a .270 owner and I too hope I'm wrong.
Total agreement and you're right about the old girl being a flat shooter!

No I meant the 30-03. The first US 30 caliber rimless military cartridge. Had a longer neck the the 30-06 and used a 220 gr RN bullet. I collect 1903s for 50 years ---- trust me.

The .270 Winchester is a rifle cartridge developed by Winchester Repeating Arms Company in 1923 and unveiled in 1925 as a chambering for their bolt-action Model 54.[3] The cartridge is a necked-down .30-03 Government, and is the same length as the .280 Remington, both of which are longer than the .30-06 Springfield. The .270, .280, and .30-06 were all derived from the .30-03 parent case. The .270 Winchester uses a .270 inch (6.86 mm) bore diameter and a .277 inch (7.04 mm) bullet diameter.
all true but the 280 has its sholder moved forward .050 thus you cannot use 270 brass in a 280 with our a lot of work like well it is not practical.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.