Will the 33 PRC ever happen?

one thing about the PRC case is glaringly evident ..... It really, really .... really makes the 30 & 33 Noslers shine like diamonds in a sun storm ...... in any bullet diameter for that matter ...... on top of that, the shorter case length allows for more powder with longer high bc bullets ....
Show me a 33 Nosler that will do that?

That's about what I expected. I hit pressure at 2740 fps with the 285gr ELDm with Reloader 26 from my 18" barrel. That was loading them pretty long since my gun is a single shot.

I don't think there's any real advantage to shooting 285/300gr bullet at 2800 fps, compared to a 250gr bullet at 2900-2950 fps.
I reached 3100 with RL 26 and a 250 with my std reamer but it doesn't leave much bullet in the case (250 Berger)

Show me a 33 Nosler that will do that?
comparing factory Nosler ammo data to tailored handloads in PRC maxed out in pressure are not even or fair comparisons, the PRC case DOES NOT have magical properties ..... no matter the fabricated hype surrounding it ...

take the 33 Nosler and throat it the same, load it to same coal and max pressure ....

the Nosler case will smoke the PRC in every bullet diameter in any weight across the board .... more capacity, fatter, shorter ... utilizes more powder with same coal .....

the PRC case needs to be run at pocket busting pressures to approach what the Nosler does at normal room temperature

comparing factory Nosler ammo data to tailored handloads in PRC maxed out in pressure are not even or fair comparisons, the PRC case DOES NOT have magical properties ..... no matter the fabricated hype surrounding it ...

take the 33 Nosler and throat it the same, load it to same coal and max pressure ....

the Nosler case will smoke the PRC in every bullet diameter in any weight across the board .... more capacity, fatter, shorter ... utilizes more powder with same coal .....

the PRC case needs to be run at pocket busting pressures to approach what the Nosler does at normal room temperature
If you were talking 28/33 Nosler maybe closer, but Im not buying the 30 Nosler.
My 30 SM and dozens of clients are running the 245's at 3000 with 245's and getting excellent case life! A 30 Nosler wont even approach that.
Maybe once ;)

My 30 SM and dozens of clients are running the 245's at 3000 with 245's and getting excellent case life! A 30 Nosler wont even approach that.
Maybe once ;)
Thanks for proving my point ... You are again comparing an improved wildcat cartridge with a throat that would make Weatherby proud, along with an extended COAL , to a standard factory cartridge ....

now take the 30 Nosler SAAMI throat & 3.340" coal with the 245 gr bullet and apply it to the 300 PRC .... bullet will go deep into powder space & case mouth will be past the ogive curve of the bullet, and you aren't gonna go much faster than the 300 Win Mag .....

To make it interesting , (& Ryan Pierce proved it .....) take the original length Nosler case and wildcat it to max dims & throat the snot out of it and run it hot with select powders for mondo velocity .... then it's like .. 300 PRC ? Never heard of the .......... !

To avoid all that nonsense, a fella can simply pick up a 300 RUM and be miles ahead

Thanks for proving my point ... You are again comparing an improved wildcat cartridge with a throat that would make Weatherby proud, along with an extended COAL , to a standard factory cartridge ....

now take the 30 Nosler SAAMI throat & 3.340" coal with the 245 gr bullet and apply it to the 300 PRC .... bullet will go deep into powder space & case mouth will be past the ogive curve of the bullet, and you aren't gonna go much faster than the 300 Win Mag .....

To make it interesting , (& Ryan Pierce proved it .....) take the original length Nosler case and wildcat it to max dims & throat the snot out of it and run it hot with select powders for mondo velocity .... then it's like .. 300 PRC ? Never heard of the .......... !

To avoid all that nonsense, a fella can simply pick up a 300 RUM and be miles ahead
Of course you can throat a 30 Nosler and gain something. What Im saying is you can throat a std 30 Nosler case all you want and you wont run 245's at over 3000 fps. And yes, a RUM will certainly do it.

I'm a bit late to the party here but I don't see the market for a 338 PRC.
However if they were going to do it I'd imagine they essentially do a 338 LMI,

Of course you can throat a 30 Nosler and gain something. What Im saying is you can throat a std 30 Nosler case all you want and you wont run 245's at over 3000 fps. And yes, a RUM will certainly do it.

I'm running a sammi spec 30 nosler in a 26 inch barrel and 230s over H1k. I'm at about max powder capacity without using a drop tube. I'm running the 230s at 2980 for best accuracy and hit 3050 on a ladder test. Is it that far off to think a 245 with a hotter powder wouldn't be knocking on the door of 3k?

Having said that, if I wanted a non Lapua bolt faced 33 I'd think hard about a 28-33 Nos throated for VLDs. In reality, it's just not enough for 300's to really perform IMO and a 245 berger (30) / 250 berger (33) is a wash with the exception of a little more BC from the 245.

I'm running a sammi spec 30 nosler in a 26 inch barrel and 230s over H1k. I'm at about max powder capacity without using a drop tube. I'm running the 230s at 2980 for best accuracy and hit 3050 on a ladder test. Is it that far off to think a 245 with a hotter powder wouldn't be knocking on the door of 3k?

Having said that, if I wanted a non Lapua bolt faced 33 I'd think hard about a 28-33 Nos throated for VLDs. In reality, it's just not enough for 300's to really perform IMO and a 245 berger (30) / 250 berger (33) is a wash with the exception of a little more BC from the 245.
Could be? I don't have one and I don't care for people telling me what my stuff will and wont do, so if it will do it, do it. Ive not heard of a 30/28 reaching 3000, so I didn't see how a straight 30 would? I know the SM's will and the 300 Norma will, but it holds quite a bit more powder.

Last edited:
Maybe once ;)

Could be? I don't have one and I don't care for people telling me what my stuff will and wont do, so if it will do it, do it. Ive not heard of a 30/28 reaching 3000, so I didn't see how a straight 30 would? I know the SM's will and the 300 Norma will, but it holds quite a bit more powder.
Well having owned a 30 SM and now a 30 Nosler with a long throat I can say for a fact that your claims are BS.
Your improved prc increased the capacity 1 grain and ended up around 96, my 30 nos with ADG is 100.5 grains fire formed and got me 50 fps over the 30 sm before hitting pressure.
Let's stop claiming a 40 degree shoulder will magically turn the PRC into a 300 NM, or even 30 Nos

Well having owned a 30 SM and now a 30 Nosler with a long throat I can say for a fact that your claims are BS.
Your improved prc increased the capacity 1 grain and ended up around 96, my 30 nos with ADG is 100.5 grains fire formed and got me 50 fps over the 30 sm before hitting pressure.
Let's stop claiming a 40 degree shoulder will magically turn the PRC into a 300 NM, or even 30 Nos
Were Both barrel lengths the same?

All things equal?

That should be a very easy call then. You should undoubtedly build a Nosler!

Were Both barrel lengths the same?

All things equal?
The 30 sm was 26" and with the same powder/ bullet combos in my 24" Nos the velocities were within a few fps when pressure signs showed up, that was shooting 215s, and 225 eldms.
Add 2" to the 30 nos and it's easily 50 fps faster.

I like Sherman's 40 degree improved cartridges but the outlandish velocity claims are misleading, I've owned a 338 RUM and when I see guys claiming a 338 SS is pushing a 250 at the same speeds two things come to mind.
1. The chronograph is lying
2. The pressure is super dangerous.
There's no replacement for capacity, period.