Smokin Fast Hammer Hunter. 28 Nosler N570

Huntnful

Was doing a powder charge test out of my .28 nosler with 169gr Hammer Hunters yesterday. I run the 180 VLD's with 85gr. of N570. So for the HH I started at 85gr. and worked my way up to 87gr. in .5gr increments. You can see the consistent velocity increase with each .5gr, topping out at 3300 FPS with 87gr. 78fps increase over 2gr. of powder. Pressure signs were MINIMAL. I'm talking no bolt click or ejector mark (maybe the faintest mark, but still can't really make it out). That is freaking smoking fast for a 7mm 169gr bullet. Could be having some fun with this one! Also, all of the shots from 85.5 to 87 were withing a 1/2". So accuracy shouldn't be an issue.

26" 1-8 twist HCA barrel
ADG Brass
215M
IMG_0203.jpeg

Same N570. 103+ grs in the RUM. Groups .5 or less at 100. 27" Bartlein. Shot a buck at 311 in the brisket. Bullet penetrated full body length and lodged under hide at rear of ham. Only Hammer I ever retrieved.
Oh sweet!! I just thought N570 might throw a wide ES with that light bullet. Good to know!

And good performance on that buck? Looks like the pedals shed off perfectly!

Same N570. 103+ grs in the RUM. Groups .5 or less at 100. 27" Bartlein. Shot a buck at 311 in the brisket. Bullet penetrated full body length and lodged under hide at rear of ham. Only Hammer I ever retrieved.
Impressive. I've been loading these in all of my rifles and a ton of friends rifles for three years now with a ton of elk and deer kill and have yet to recover a bullet. Thanks for sharing the pic and confirming Steve's claim.

If you like speed - drop down to the 131s. I'm getting right at 3700 out of my 7mm RUM! With sub .5 accuracy!
So I've hunted for 35yrs, have come to own and shoot many diff calibers, and know a lot more than the average member of the hunting community.....but I am def a newbie when it comes to long range shooting, reloading, and bullet composition/performance. So my question might seem a little basic.
Anyway, these solid copper Hammer bullets are interesting. I understand the concept and realize the speed increase with lighter bullets, and the pro's of a flatter path.
My question is how light can you go and still have ethical killing power on specific target animals? I've always stepped up the weight of the bullet as the body size of my quarry increased.
Ordinarily I'd never consider shooting an Elk with a 131g bullet......however with the speeds generated coupled with the bullet design/composition, it seems like a fine choice.
So, how light can you go??
Thanks for all the comments.....the amount of knowledge shared daily by this forum's members is crazy....I'm lucky to have found it.

@Bullmark,
I can't speak to the much larger animals, since all I hunt is deer. However, many on this Forum do hunt elk, larger mule deer, moose, etc. and they use Hammer bullets (either the Hammer Hunters or the newer Absolute Hammers). Hopefully some others will chime in if they see this post.

I am fortunate (?) that I have a pretty good test bed where I live. I do a fair bit of depredation hunting because deer are an agricultural nuisance here. I started using Hammers about 3 years ago. I'm a serious (Old) gun nut and love precision rifles. I've shot rifles competitively and now just shoot for fun and hunting. I first started using Hammers because I got tired of blowing up so much bloodshot meat with traditional bullets.

The other thing which drew me to Hammers is their complete consistency. This is a carry over from my benchrest days when I used to have to sort bullets (even custom hand made BR bullets). Hammers are made on a CNS machine and are measured to maintain consistency to .0005! (wish they had been around when I shot BR)!

I've killed upwards of 50 deer in the last 3 years. I've tested multiple calibers and bullet weights. I am now fully convinced that "speed kills". I think Roy Weatherby had it right. With the construction of the Hammer bullets, they can withstand high velocity and RPMs. They penetrate and perform amazingly well and do not destroy a bunch of meat. They turn vitals into jello and always penetrate in my experience. The only one I ever recovered was the end to end shot on a 7pt buck I mentioned in the earlier post. I've shot deer with everything from an 80 gr 243, 121 gr 25-284, 117 and bigger 6.5 Creedmoor, 131 gr and bigger 7mm RUM and a 205 gr 338 Sherman. All shoot very well and all performed very well.

I am in no way affiliated with Hammer Bullets or Steve. I gain nothing from encouraging others to use Hammer bullets. They are an amazing product and are the first major step change in bullet manufacturing in my lifetime.

Regards,
George

N570 pushes 195s to 3200 in some barrels I had mine up to to 3180 with almost 85 grains of powder. But the barrel burn is insane.
Agreed. Shoots very well and it hammers big game at long range. I shoot it very limited due to barrel life but it's intended for one thing and I can trust it and it flat out works from first hand experience.

@Bullmark,
I can't speak to the much larger animals, since all I hunt is deer. However, many on this Forum do hunt elk, larger mule deer, moose, etc. and they use Hammer bullets (either the Hammer Hunters or the newer Absolute Hammers). Hopefully some others will chime in if they see this post.

I am fortunate (?) that I have a pretty good test bed where I live. I do a fair bit of depredation hunting because deer are an agricultural nuisance here. I started using Hammers about 3 years ago. I'm a serious (Old) gun nut and love precision rifles. I've shot rifles competitively and now just shoot for fun and hunting. I first started using Hammers because I got tired of blowing up so much bloodshot meat with traditional bullets.

The other thing which drew me to Hammers is their complete consistency. This is a carry over from my benchrest days when I used to have to sort bullets (even custom hand made BR bullets). Hammers are made on a CNS machine and are measured to maintain consistency to .0005! (wish they had been around when I shot BR)!

I've killed upwards of 50 deer in the last 3 years. I've tested multiple calibers and bullet weights. I am now fully convinced that "speed kills". I think Roy Weatherby had it right. With the construction of the Hammer bullets, they can withstand high velocity and RPMs. They penetrate and perform amazingly well and do not destroy a bunch of meat. They turn vitals into jello and always penetrate in my experience. The only one I ever recovered was the end to end shot on a 7pt buck I mentioned in the earlier post. I've shot deer with everything from an 80 gr 243, 121 gr 25-284, 117 and bigger 6.5 Creedmoor, 131 gr and bigger 7mm RUM and a 205 gr 338 Sherman. All shoot very well and all performed very well.

I am in no way affiliated with Hammer Bullets or Steve. I gain nothing from encouraging others to use Hammer bullets. They are an amazing product and are the first major step change in bullet manufacturing in my lifetime.

Regards,
George
X-2

I have not tried N570 in my 28s (I use RL 33 for those) but just tried it a 300 RUM. Velocity was impressive - 93 gr gave me over 3200 with a 225 ELD, with ES less than 10. Unfortunately, was not that accurate. Still playing around. Time to go shoot 500 at PRG...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.